The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News and objectivity

4 posters

Go down

News and objectivity Empty Re: News and objectivity

Post by RBM Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:28 am

frmthhrt wrote:...yeah, but it's on Fox "News"...kinda like the National Enquirer, right? Even if it is the truth, somehow it's tainted...

If it's the truth then it must be you with the 'taint'. Good Luck with getting rid of it.

It's sad to think that those in CA buying the pills are depriving those in Japan the opportunity for a purchase, as there is a shortage.

RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Don't be an ass. There is a reason Fox news was not allowed in Canada...because they do not tell the truth. When it becomes impossible to tell what is truth and what is lies, then the truth is tainted.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:42 pm

frmthhrt wrote:Don't be an ass. There is a reason Fox news was not allowed in Canada...because they do not tell the truth.

Simple logic is all I executed.

When it becomes impossible to tell what is truth and what is lies, then the truth is tainted.

I disagree - strenuously. You implicitly presume there is some out-there, truth telling source, it seems.

All data must be interpreted by the individual who perceives it - always, everywhere, all the time. To derive truth out of the data one has to perceive it and then process it to transform it to meaning.

In the case of Fox, who has been given the permission by the US court system to tell the truth if and when if feels like it, I find the price to pay too high to watch it, generally. But in this case, I interpreted Berkland as truthful.

In the case of Berkland, his credibility was better than Fox's in my view.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

News and objectivity Empty News and objectivity

Post by Nucky Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:29 pm

I myself find it very difficult to ever trust a network that would give someone who seriously believes that radiation is good for you air time

or a network that fakes protest footage when it didn't even have to in order to make its point, as is shown in the two videos in this thread:

http://funhsps.niceboard.org/t2353-palm-trees-in-wisconsin

This does indeed permanently taint Fox's image in my mind. Conservatives can make excuses for this until the cows come home, but an apple is still red, an orange is still orange, and Fox news is still manipulative and deceptive. "But liberals do the same thing!" simply doesn't cut it for me as an excuse. And yes, networks like MSNBC are guilty of similar kinds of manipulation. I also avoid similarly slanted liberal networks like the plague. It seems that no one is willing to take the higher ground, which is why I don't pay much attention to the news.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:43 pm

As this has nothing to do with the moon's orbit, I split the topic off.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:14 pm

Good idea. What determines is a forum code base can be split ? I know INTJf can be spit. I don't know if MBTf can be, though.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Nucky wrote:I myself find it very difficult to ever trust a network that would give someone who seriously believes that radiation is good for you air time

or a network that fakes protest footage when it didn't even have to in order to make its point, as is shown in the two videos in this thread:

http://funhsps.niceboard.org/t2353-palm-trees-in-wisconsin

This does indeed permanently taint Fox's image in my mind. Conservatives can make excuses for this until the cows come home, but an apple is still red, an orange is still orange, and Fox news is still manipulative and deceptive. "But liberals do the same thing!" simply doesn't cut it for me as an excuse. And yes, networks like MSNBC are guilty of similar kinds of manipulation. I also avoid similarly slanted liberal networks like the plague. It seems that no one is willing to take the higher ground, which is why I don't pay much attention to the news.

Haha I just saw a headline claiming O'Reilly couldn't stomach something of Coulter's comments. I'm guessing it's related to the video you posted.

I'll stay guessing for I can't stomach either Coulter or O'Reilly and so won't follow the bread crumbs to confirm or deny the guess.

"But liberals do the same thing!" simply doesn't cut it for me as an excuse.

Doesn't cut it for me either.

My late mother's canned reply under similar circumstances was 'if so-and-so jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge would you ?'
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:52 pm

RBM wrote:Good idea. What determines is a forum code base can be split ? I know INTJf can be spit. I don't know if MBTf can be, though.

Not sure what you're asking. Any moderator or admin here can determine if a thread needs merging, splitting, moving or deleting and do so accordingly. In addition, our host automatically splits a thread once it reaches I believe 25 pages. So some of our longest running game threads are actually spread over several threads now.

Now, back to topic....even if news sources strive to be unbaised, bais does creep in through the decisions on what to show and what not to; no one can include all the news all the time. Slants become obvious if a news source has an agenda. What needs to be done is to account for this and read between the lines, regardless of the news source.

Besides, it is not necessary for me to know all the trivia and minute details of what is reported to know the larger more relevent stories. So much of what is reported is merely sensationalism designed to entice viewers to watch. So we see an endless supply of gossip stories, petty crime and stories designed to elicit fear. It's an amazingly effective combination, judging by people's reaction to it.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:18 pm

I read several different sources with the observation that US-based news sources were much more sensationalist then non-US-based sources in the early phases of the Japanese events.

I don't find this surprising as it was a pervasive element I saw many years ago and is one reason I gave up TV service in '03.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down