The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This coming full moon will be a bit different

+2
RBM
melodiccolor
6 posters

Go down

This coming full moon will be a bit different Empty This coming full moon will be a bit different

Post by melodiccolor Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:43 pm

melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

This coming full moon will be a bit different Empty Re: This coming full moon will be a bit different

Post by RBM Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:27 am

Another version of the same space.com original:Supermoon

Berkland successfully predicted by 4 days the '89 "World Series' quake:

Earthquake Predicted for California This Saturday! Jim Berkland FOX with Neil Cavuto

RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

This coming full moon will be a bit different Empty Re: This coming full moon will be a bit different

Post by frmthhrt Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:20 pm

...yeah, but it's on Fox "News"...kinda like the National Enquirer, right? Even if it is the truth, somehow it's tainted... Wink
I know that I am not losing any sleep, except for the time it takes to shoot some moon pictures- using my digital camera, through a top quality pair of binoculars.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Well....the fierceness of the storms arriving now and intensifying throughout tomorrow here may be enhanced by the full moon. So no way am I going to be able to see it; it is trully a dark and stormy night. Wouldn't be surprised if I have some damage from the winds tonight or tomorrow.

Hope you get some great photos fth to post....

And RBM, someone emailed me that Berland youtube. Not too worried.

Last edited by melodiccolor on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:04 pm

...well, with the rain that has arrived, I'm not sure if I will get the chance now...but if I can I will.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 pm

RBM wrote:

Earthquake Predicted for California This Saturday! Jim Berkland FOX with Neil Cavuto

OK, OK, everyone needs to calm the hell down and rationally look at the potential real dangers that exist and how likely and unlikely they are. People are making connections where they don't exist at all.

For the time being, America is in no imminent danger.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey, Nucky you talking to yourself, out loud ? hehe. Who's not calm ?

Berkland had lots of correlations, which I'd say is the best one can do with seismic science.

@ MC

I was actually surprised to not see it already posted, here.

PS,
There's a substantial cloud cover in my area, for the night it looks like.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Most people here on the forum seem to be calm, but a lot of people in California seem to be freaking the f*@! out. First the premature KI pill-popping, and now this.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:32 am

Yeah, a few pay attention and some overreact....hardly everyone. After all there are 34 million plus people here. Bound to be some....
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 am

Thanks EA, as I was under solid cloud cover for the duration.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Those were great shots of the event. Thanks too EA as it has been rainy here for a couple of weeks now so there was no way we could see it live.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm

RBM wrote:Another version of the same space.com original:Supermoon

Here's the article debunking that idea:

Bogus Claim: Japan Earthquake Won't Trigger a California Quake

.. AFP – A Japanese tsunami survivor stands in front of messages displayed on the wall of a relief center in Rikuzentakata, …
LiveScience.com livescience.com – Mon Mar 21, 7:15 pm ET

An unfounded scientific assertion by a nonscientist has swept across the Web like a tsunami over the past few days. In an article in Newsweek, writer Simon Winchester claimed that the 9.0-magnitude Japan earthquake, following close on the heels of recent quakes in New Zealand and Chile, has ratcheted up the chances of a catastrophic seismic event striking in California.

In his article, "The Scariest Earthquake Is Yet to Come," Winchester pointed out that all three of those recent earthquakes occurred along faults on the edge of the Pacific Plate — the giant tectonic puzzle piece under the Pacific Ocean — and that this also butts up against the North American plate along the San Andreas Fault.

"[A] significant event on one side of a major tectonic plate is often … followed some weeks or months later by another on the plate’s far side," he wrote. "Now there have been catastrophic events at three corners of the Pacific Plate — one in the northwest, on Friday; one in the southwest, last month; one in the southeast, last year. That leaves just one corner unaffected — the northeast. And the fault line in the northeast of the Pacific Plate is the San Andreas Fault, underpinning the city of San Francisco."

Winchester claimed that the geological community is "very apprehensive" about these earthquakes triggering a massive California quake. Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to LiveScience, checked that claim with a panel of geophysicists.

"There is no evidence for a connection between all of the Pacific Rim earthquakes," Nathan Bangs, a geophysicist who studies tectonic processes at the University of Texas Institute for Geophysics, told Life's Little Mysteries. "I don't know what the basis is for the statements and implications in the Newsweek article, but there is no evidence that there is a link."

U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) earthquake geologist David Schwartz, who heads the San Francisco Bay Area Earthquake Hazards Project, concurred. "Simon Winchester is a popular science writer, not a scientist," Schwartz said. "I'm not saying we won't have an earthquake here in California at some point in the future, but there really is no physical connection between these earthquakes."

Schwartz explained that earthquakes can indeed cascade, with one setting off another — but only locally. "When an earthquake happens, it changes the stress in the vicinity around it, and if there are other faults nearby, this increase in stress can trigger them and produce more earthquakes. In other places, it relaxes the crust and puts earthquakes off," he said.

In New Zealand, for example, a 7.1-magnitude earthquake that rumbled 20 miles northwest of the city of Christchurch in September triggered the much smaller 6.3-magnitude that occurred closer to the city in February. The 1906 San Francisco earthquake, on the other hand, relaxed nearby faults, which has placed the region in a relatively quake-free "stress shadow" for the past 100 years. "But these static stress changes occur in a relatively restricted region," Schwartz said. The effects of the stress changes aren't just anybody's guess, either: Scientists can produce very accurate computer models of the local stress transfer.

Rich Briggs, a USGS geologist whose work focuses on how earthquakes happen, explained another way in which earthquakes can cascade. "The other way earthquakes affect their neighbors is that when a fault ruptures, it sends out seismic waves that in the case of large earthquakes can even circle the globe. In some cases, this 'dynamic stress transfer' increases seismicity," Briggs told Life's Little Mysteries. "But that only happens as waves go by, in the minutes that it takes the waves to travel out from the fault zone."

The dynamic stress transfer induces aftershocks immediately after the initial seismic event — not days, months, or years after. Because the 9.0-magnitude earthquake that hit Japan can only alter regional faults, the dynamic stress transfer process is the only way to set off a similar reaction in California. If that were the case, though, the earthquake would have hit already.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Wow, thanks for the awesome pics.
That one with the Lincoln memorial is really spooky, and the one with the airplane is really cool.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down