The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What time and place would you most like to have lived and why?

5 posters

Go down

What time and place would you most like to have lived and why? Empty What time and place would you most like to have lived and why?

Post by Nucky Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:48 pm

It seems that a lot of people are very unhappy with living in our current time, so what time and place in history would you most like to have lived? Be careful to consider how the average person lived in that society, and not how fun it would be to be Cleopatra or a medieval knight or something lol.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

What time and place would you most like to have lived and why? Empty Re: What time and place would you most like to have lived and why?

Post by Nucky Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm surprised no one has answered this yet.

I'm pretty satisfied with the time and place in which I was born. If anything, I think that maybe I would have preferred to have been born a bit later, as technology has helped me make connections so much.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

What time and place would you most like to have lived and why? Empty Re: What time and place would you most like to have lived and why?

Post by frmthhrt Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:16 pm

Well, I read it and thought about it...but it was too late at night, so I left it for later... Very Happy
As bad as things may seem sometimes...it is hard to beat the current era. Of course that does depend on where you live...and what is happening in your country.
Here in Canada, we missed the whole Vietnam era draft issue, so the 1950s through mid 70s era were pretty good years . I would happily have lived in my Dad's era...hot rodding, the birth of rock and roll, or even a bit later- the beginning of the hippy and musclecar era.
The 1880s through 1910 era was pretty good too, but at the same time, I would not have wanted to deal with WW1, or the 1918 flu epidemic.
I don't think my independent thought would have fit in through most of history...as tempting as the Rennaisance sounds...but I do think the beginning of the Industrial Revolution would have been fun for an inventive and creative person. Still, life was very hard back then, and I doubt that I would have enjoyed the day to day hardships, or the lack of modern medicine. So anytime from 1800-1910 would have been interesting in the right place (UK, Germany, France or Italy), but really, the last half of the 20 century until today would be better.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:40 am

first time I've seen this, but a really interesting topic. I have to think about it and get back...
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 am

I think as a kid I used to romanticize living in the past. I loved the Little House on the Praire books/Anne of Greene Gables stuff. I don't think I would really have enjoyed living in those times though.

But I really haven't felt that way as an adult. The hardwork, lack of modern conveniences and being a woman thoughout most of history probably wasn't all that great. With a few exceptions a woman was to marry and have children. She was dependant on her husband and if not married, male relatives for her welfare. Denied education, rights, financial independence, etc. Yea I don't think I would want to live in the past, at least any farther back then maybe the last 30 years, as a girl.

Last edited by Reamsie on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by paintdeer30 Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:41 pm

I like it when we weren't so involved with technology like cell phones, internet, emails. It had become too casual for the average friendship. I use to love getting letters from friends when I was little and it was relaxing and personal.

I enjoyed reading my great great grandmother's letters to her sister and it really shows about their world. But again I probably woulnd't like living in the past due to lack of education, no women's rights and access to comforts.
paintdeer30
paintdeer30

http://anniesartphotography.shutterfly.com/pictures

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum