The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Share your Pets

+2
melodiccolor
MMak
6 posters

Go down

Share your Pets Empty Share your Pets

Post by MMak Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:48 pm

Thought this could be a fun topic where we could share our animals, considering many HSPs tend to have a magnet towards them...
Not only that, but they are very healing beings!

I currently own 2 rats & 2 cats (yes, good combo, I know!)
They are both kept away from each other... the rats have their own room.

I adopted these 2 rats from my local SPCA, they were left abandoned by someone..
They came with the names Marco & Polo, and I just decided to keep it that way. Smile

Marco:
Share your Pets 63310_491456590048_530955048_7211119_8127096_n

Polo:
Share your Pets 148523_10150095391825049_530955048_7538996_3035683_n

They are quite the opposite of the bad rep. that the sewage rats gave them. They are extremely intelligent beings and full of personality.
Many people who've never owned them tend to relate them to hamsters, however they are generally very different considering that they long to interact with you.
At the moment, Polo knows how to stand on command, as well as walk on his hind legs.
They also both come to their names.

This is the cage I currently keep them in (about 6ft by 2 ft) which currently has a christmas layout for this week:
Share your Pets Christmascage

My 2 cats were also adopted from the SPCA and came with the names Razzle & Dazzle. lol
They are both believe to be Maine Coons.

I also use to lease a Trakehner named Mastermind, however, unfortunately I had to recently stop the lease and he is now back under the full ownership of his owner.
Share your Pets Ridingsmall Share your Pets Mastermindcuddle

I grew quite a close bond with him, even though he is apparently a very picky horse when it comes to people... I miss him terribly!

I'll post photo's of Razzle and Dazzle once I get them onto my photobucket.

Last edited by MMak on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MMak
MMak

Back to top Go down

Share your Pets Empty Re: Share your Pets

Post by melodiccolor Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Your pets are adorable Mmak. We have simular photos and threads all over the board--of course we'd be sharing our pets! Is that you on the horse?

My two kitties are very senior; Pearl, a grey tabby is 16 years old and Spotty, a white cat with round tabby spots is 15. My other cats have all passed on.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MMak Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:41 pm

Yes, that is me in both the horse pictures Smile
Not overly recent, but their my favourite pictures of him and I together.

I also use to ride him bareback. This one is a old photo and is not the greatest shot, as it was taken from a video...but
Share your Pets Bareback3edit

Sorry to hear of the passings with your cats. I recently (well...2 years ago) lost my childhood cat, Chester. They can really leave a mark on our souls.
MMak
MMak

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks. Indeed they can.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Cool pics, thank you for sharing them
I would LOVE to have a rat or two. They really are smart and supposedly very affectionate.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by MMak Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:26 pm

BlueTopaz wrote:Cool pics, thank you for sharing them
I would LOVE to have a rat or two. They really are smart and supposedly very affectionate.

They are EXTREMELY affectionate (I mean, seriously, more affectionate then my cats. Their like tiny dogs)
They'll even groom you.. (as well as constantly groom themselves, they aren't nearly as dirty as people think.)

However, due to their intelligence and social needs, it's really crucial from them to have atleast one or two other cagemates.
They've done many studies on it and a LARGE majority of the rats that were kept alone became depressed, had a weaker immune system and some would build vices such as chewing their tail.

You should look into getting them some time Smile
MMak
MMak

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:35 am

Okay, from what you know, will they attack my birds? Fear of the two together is the only thing that has stopped me from getting them.

Also, gorgeous horse. I'm not too familiar with that breed. He looks like a big horse (unless you are a small girl). Do you do any jumping or dressage? His long legs make him look like a horse perfect for that. What a beauty.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by MMak Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:31 am

BlueTopaz wrote:Okay, from what you know, will they attack my birds? Fear of the two together is the only thing that has stopped me from getting them.

Also, gorgeous horse. I'm not too familiar with that breed. He looks like a big horse (unless you are a small girl). Do you do any jumping or dressage? His long legs make him look like a horse perfect for that. What a beauty.

In the wild, yes, some rats will eat birds. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure how a domestic rat would react.. although I've never heard of it.
Is it possible for you to just keep them seperate? The rats will certainly not go rabid and drill through your walls to get to them while they're out playing, I promise. Smile

He's pretty big.. just over 16hh. I used to do dressage with him. Smile
He never jumped in his lifetime, however. I would have certainly tried, but he was arthritic and had a mystery lameness (where he'd be 100% sound for a month, and then lame for a week or two, sound for 2 months, lame for a week, etc etc)
He's apparently been lame ever since I had to leave the barn. Sad
MMak
MMak

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:33 pm

I enjoyed looking at your animals M.....and I can see they are all very well loved..and I bet return that love....in many ways. You do look like a very proficient rider and your horse is stunning...very beautiful.
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 am

Hobbes the ferret

[img]Share your Pets 5245534735_d12779a0e3 dec8 103 by motrhead, on Flickr[/img]

frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:58 am

my what big claws he has.........grandpa... Shocked
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:40 am

big grin Believe it or not...he is the most gentle, sweetest pet we have ever owned...full of energy and playfulness, yes, but he doesn't bite or scratch... ever. He does love to hop- as in "pop goes the weasel"- which he does when playing with Gus. It's too bad they aren't as cuddly as cats, and that they don't purr, because otherwise they are very cat-like...and this guy is much more curious than a cat...lol. He is our beloved Longcat.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:33 pm

frmthhrt wrote: big grin Believe it or not...he is the most gentle, sweetest pet we have ever owned...full of energy and playfulness, yes, but he doesn't bite or scratch... ever. He does love to hop- as in "pop goes the weasel"- which he does when playing with Gus. It's too bad they aren't as cuddly as cats, and that they don't purr, because otherwise they are very cat-like...and this guy is much more curious than a cat...lol. He is our beloved Longcat.

he is very cute!! Very Happy
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Awwww, he's cute.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by paintdeer30 Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Just looking through this thread and it made me smile. Your pet rats are adorable and wow what a beautiful horse! Currently I don't have any pets at the moment. I did owned a house rabbit for 9 years and an American Eskimo Dog for 4 years. Hopefully I will get another pet sometime would love to get a cat, a dog or some small critter as well!

URL=https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/alizsit.jpg/]Share your Pets Alizsit.th[/URL][/img]
my rabbit Lizzie

my dog Laddie[img]URL=https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/img0937e.jpg/]Share your Pets Img0937e.th[/URL][/img][img]

hope u can see the photos

Very Happy
paintdeer30
paintdeer30

http://anniesartphotography.shutterfly.com/pictures

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum