The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Explorer is loathed by geeks....

3 posters

Go down

Why Explorer is loathed by geeks.... Empty Why Explorer is loathed by geeks....

Post by melodiccolor Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Why geeks hate internet explorer.

This informative article also explains a bit of computing and internet history that I found really interesting.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why Explorer is loathed by geeks.... Empty Re: Why Explorer is loathed by geeks....

Post by waterdragon7 Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:45 pm

melodiccolor wrote:Why geeks hate internet explorer.

This informative article also explains a bit of computing and internet history that I found really interesting.
MC, iirc, at one point, Microsoft had developed the competitive philosophy of "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish." Meaning, "embrace standards", then extend those standards with proprietary extensions, and finally "extinguish the competition." Which didn't make many friends for them as a corporation at the time. You might also find the following link of interest as well:

Halloween_Documents

These documents were primarily notes between Microsoft senior executives as to how they could eliminate Linux as a competitive threat.
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Why Explorer is loathed by geeks.... Empty Re: Why Explorer is loathed by geeks....

Post by RBM Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:07 pm

Ahh, WD7, good digging ! I had forgot about those.

Yup, MS went with the strategy of lock-in. Short term it can be pulled off, if you have a decent position on whatever wave you want to capitalize on. MS had such a position on the tech wave - for a while anyway.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:58 pm

It explains alot the mess we have out there today.....Microsoft is not the only one.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:58 pm

melodiccolor wrote:It explains alot the mess we have out there today.....Microsoft is not the only one.

Generally I agree. I do have some technology priorities, though, by which I measure what is on the front burner versus the back burner.

For me, the telecom industry is a Priority #1, Front Burner issue.

But I'm not holding my breath.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down