The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do lights from electronic equipment bother you?

+4
SimplyNan
melodiccolor
BlueTopaz
waterdragon7
8 posters

Go down

Do lights from electronic equipment bother you? Empty Do lights from electronic equipment bother you?

Post by waterdragon7 Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:39 am

On my desk, is a small computer - a tiny green LED glows when it is on, and the scroll wheel of the mouse glows blue. An external backup drive, when on, has a much larger green LED. The small television/monitor has an LED which glows red when off, and blue when on, while the surge protector has a small amber light when enabled, but it is on the floor under the desk, so it isn't really noticed. In addition, I have one USB wall charger which glows blue when drawing power.

I guess all of this does bother me, because prior to going to sleep. I shut off the computer and television/monitor and unplug both devices. The backup drive is normally left off, and the USB wall charger has a small piece of electrical tape over the LED so I can recharge items at night, primarily two different mp3 players.

I'm asking this question due to hearing a "tech geek" on the radio who said his wife complains about all the light from the gadgets he owns when she is trying to sleep!

So, anyone else here bothered by this little challenge - or not?

P.S. Eventually, I'll replace the mouse with one without a lighted scroll wheel.

waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Do lights from electronic equipment bother you? Empty Re: Do lights from electronic equipment bother you?

Post by BlueTopaz Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:47 am

Oh yeah!!!
Any lights in the bedroom are hidden behind something or taped over with electrical tape. Where I've been a guest I've been know to drape socks, shirts and napkins over little lights. They bother me a lot.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Do lights from electronic equipment bother you? Empty Re: Do lights from electronic equipment bother you?

Post by melodiccolor Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:56 pm

They do me too....there are so many bright lights on so many gadgets throughout the house from our wireless phones to back up hard drives, to modems to.....well everything electronic now has one of them. It's insane and many are far too bright.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Yep, me too. And strobe lights are the worst! I get all dizzy and disoriented.
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by Grasshopper Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:32 am

Lights are not so much a problem for me (although they are for my partner big-time). It's sounds that drive me nuts. I cannot be in a McDonald's, for instance, when there are incessant beeping sounds from the machines every few seconds. I guess the people working there get used to it but I never would be able to.

Loud-mouth cell phone users is another issue for me. They should be confined to texting only! silent
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:57 am

We shall not cease from exploration [nor wonderment], and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. --T. S. Eliot

I am guessing you have had this quote for a while.....but today I happened to engage a little deeper into this quote upon reading.....and quite frankly I like it....as for electronic equipment bothering me......I have a new washing machine that has this beeping sound when out of balance.........it is very incessant and it drives me nuts.......well it makes me go rearrange the washing and get it done........so thats probably a good thing...hehe....
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by Grasshopper Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Alethia,
Thanks for your remarks on the Eliot quote. The bottom line is that we are always going in circles and never 'arrive' anywhere, metaphysically speaking. Life is about the journey, not the destination. Each moment is a new experience seen with new eyes. Whether we are paying attention or not is another matter. Laughing

As for the beeps, they help keep me out of McDonald's, which is a good thing. pig
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Lights are not so much a problem for me (although they are for my partner big-time). It's sounds that drive me nuts. I cannot be in a McDonald's, for instance, when there are incessant beeping sounds from the machines every few seconds. I guess the people working there get used to it but I never would be able to.

The beeping and the drone of the machines operating really bothers me- even desktop computer fans drive me nuts...ventilation systems in buildings, crappy AM radio playing in the background- even my son's aquarium. Sometimes I have a touch of tinnitus, and these things can make it worse. I think these things are like feedback in my ears that trigger the tinnitus. My daughter's desktop computer fan is doing this right now...maybe this explains my Luddite tendencies ? lol
When I go to the food court in the mall with my kids, I take my noise cancelling earbud headphones and don't turn on the MP3 player.
What really bothers my eyes is glare of any kind...I am very sensitive to light, and wear sunglasses pretty much 365 days a year, but small lights don't bother me. Bright computer screens, white paper and white walls make me squint, and in bright sunlight I sneeze...
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNan Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Noises, those repetitive noises, like the back-up warning beeps on some vehicles --- GAH!
SimplyNan
SimplyNan

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:45 pm

hehe I had to laugh because besides the sickening smell of the food, the repetitive beeping in McDonalds drives me absolutely batty after a few seconds. I don't know how anyone could work there. And the fluorescent lights. I just think this kind of atmosphere is not natural for human beings.
Anyway I digress.. hehe.
Yes little electronic lights do bother me. My computer has one that remains on even when the computer is off to show the battery is charging or whatever. I also have a wireless mouse that flashes blue light for some reason. I also have a stereo that has this display on it that is constantly changing and flashing. That one drives me nuts when trying to sleep so I have actually draped something over it. I've never liked night lights either, I prefer to sleep in near total darkness if possible.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum