The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Tempest" of "Forbidden Planet" (the movie)

2 posters

Go down

"The Tempest" of "Forbidden Planet" (the movie) Empty "The Tempest" of "Forbidden Planet" (the movie)

Post by waterdragon7 Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:24 pm

An analysis of such can be found here:

Analysis

Guess I'm thinking about this because one of my cousins taped "Forbidden Planet" for me a few days ago, but I will not be able to watch it until tonight or tomorrow evening.

Btw, I've also read another analysis which equates this film as tension between nature and technology, not to mention the Freudian psychology thrown in as well!

Any comments, if you've seen this film in the past? And if you have not seen it, it is quite worthwhile to rent it from a video store. Or Netflix, etc. Right after you've read or re-read "The Tempest," of course! Laughing
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

"The Tempest" of "Forbidden Planet" (the movie) Empty Re: "The Tempest" of "Forbidden Planet" (the movie)

Post by BlueTopaz Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 pm

The Tempest-- William Shakespeare The tempest??

I've watched Forbidden Planet many times. It's a good movie.
I hate to admit that I've never read Shakespeare's The Tempest. (I'm so embarrassed)

But it's a good old theme. Mother nature knows better than man and man shouldn't play god when he is so flawed.
The movie is a wee bit sexist, but hey, it's from the 50's!!!!!
Love it.

edit: just read a "cliff notes" summary of the tempest and it resembles forbidden planet--- sort of? Superficially, quite similar, and in one of the themes: man as a destructive monster, but, the main character of the tempest was betrayed and exiled and purposely shipwrecked a crew of his antagonists in order to bring them to justice (his justice). Is the invisible "Id" analogous to the Ariel character?

Now I fully realize I could be all wet (get it-- tempest-- all wet) because I've not seen the Billy S's play (the only way I can really assimilate his stories).
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

"The Tempest" of "Forbidden Planet" (the movie) Empty Re: "The Tempest" of "Forbidden Planet" (the movie)

Post by waterdragon7 Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:09 am

BlueTopaz wrote:The Tempest-- William Shakespeare The tempest??...Is the invisible "Id" analogous to the Ariel character?

Now I fully realize I could be all wet (get it-- tempest-- all wet) because I've not seen the Billy S's play (the only way I can really assimilate his stories)...
BT, iirc, the character of "Robby the Robot" is the one analogous to Ariel. The character most analogous to the invisible "Id" is Caliban.

Another really interesting link to read about the film, "Forbidden Planet: is here:

comparison

and there is a rather long article here, which is not about "Forbidden Planet" per se, but about the rock opera, "Return to Forbidden Planet". However, there are sufficient references to the 1956 film, technology and present-day society to make it a very worthwhile read:

rockopera

Btw, not sure if you noticed or not, but Leslie Nielsen's CO in "Forbidden Planet" was equated with Capt. Kirk in the original "Star Trek" series, "Doc Ostrow" being a pre-cursor to Spock, and Lt. Farman representing Dr. McCoy. This was mentioned in an analysis from this link, provided in my original post:

moreforbiddenplanet

I've been reading many of the websites re: "Forbidden Planet" and The "Tempest," to the point where they are all starting to "blur together" more than a tiny bit!
waterdragon7
waterdragon7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down