The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Ten Myths About Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs)

+3
melodiccolor
Nucky
Grasshopper
7 posters

Go down

Top Ten Myths About Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs) Empty Top Ten Myths About Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs)

Post by Grasshopper Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Top Ten Myths About Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/345248/top_ten_myths_about_highly_sensitive.html?cat=60

This is a very provocative article covering many aspects of the HSP experience and public perceptions of HSPs. After reading it, comment on any of the 10 myths and/or add other relevant input.

Last edited by Nucky on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dead link)
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Myths About Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs) Empty Re: Top Ten Myths About Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs)

Post by Nucky Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:26 pm

7. "HSPs are 'smarter' than most people."

This is true. The author attempts to debunk this with a "you're only as smart or as dumb as you feel" philosophy. Doesn't cut it in my book.

I pretty much agree with the rest though.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Myths About Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs) Empty Re: Top Ten Myths About Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs)

Post by melodiccolor Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:30 pm

There is alot to consider here and she makes some good points. But why is there this tendency to consider most introversion a mental disorder? It seems even the author and the Aron's are buying into this to a rather distressing degree.

Some disorders produce introversion as a symptom but that does not mean most introverts suffer from these disorders
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedream Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:58 pm

I.D.K. It still 'beats the ol dead horse' as if 'we' have something to prove...or not.
I guess at this stage in my life I've grown quite tired of the 'flawed guilt trip' whether through unconsciousness or articles like this that seem we must still try to prove our own worthiness.
Gets old.... and kind of moot eventually.
Mental disorders indeed! Just look at this freaking planet... fer god's sake! Sure has been in good hands for all of these years... hasn't it?
I would think it needs a good 15% 'kick in the ass!' Ha!
My thoughts....
b.d.
Bluedream
Bluedream

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Mental disorders indeed! Just look at this freaking planet... fer god's sake! Sure has been in good hands for all of these years... hasn't it?
I would think it needs a good 15% 'kick in the ass!' Ha!
My thoughts....
b.d.

I love it! big grin Some truths do need to be shouted.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Laughing That is a good one. crazy

If you gotta' have a disorder, (and who doesn't?), I'd rather have this dreaded {{{{shudder}}}}} introversion. It's probably better that others don't know what's going on in this sick mind of mine. :emot-barf.gif: (always wanted to use that emo.)

But maybe I just misread. It seems to me, that they're saying we come by our introversion naturally, and that's not really a problem, other than it can seem odd to some extraverts. But there are some, for whom introversion is a problem, because it's one symptom of a larger disorder, and they might naturally prefer being "out there" more, but are held back because of their disorder.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by amuletts Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:52 pm

The link to this article seems to be broken now.
amuletts
amuletts

http://epicfail.xepher.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Grasshopper Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Post by mtngrl123 Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:41 am

I once heard someone describe an introvert as some one cowering in the corner. This came for a well educated individual. I must say i laughed and thought to myself we are not cowering as it may appear, we are merely looking at the extraverts make asses of themselves fighting to be the center of the attention. Quite entertaining at times.
mtngrl123

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:06 pm

mtngrl123 wrote:I once heard someone describe an introvert as some one cowering in the corner. This came for a well educated individual. I must say i laughed and thought to myself we are not cowering as it may appear, we are merely looking at the extraverts make asses of themselves fighting to be the center of the attention. Quite entertaining at times.

lol! It's not that simple of course for either extroverts nor introverts but I have watched that going on at times too.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum