The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

5 posters

Go down

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space Empty Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

Post by edie Thu May 20, 2010 12:27 am

By Casey Johnston | Last updated about 17 hours ago
Quantum teleportation has achieved a new milestone or, should we say, a new ten-milestone: scientists have recently had success teleporting information between photons over a free space distance of nearly ten miles, an unprecedented length. The researchers who have accomplished this feat note that this brings us closer to communicating information without needing a traditional signal, and that the ten miles they have reached could span the distance between the surface of the earth and space.

As we've explained before, "quantum teleportation" is quite different from how many people imagine teleportation to work. Rather than picking one thing up and placing it somewhere else, quantum teleportation involves entangling two things, like photons or ions, so their states are dependent on one another and each can be affected by the measurement of the other's state.

When one of the items is sent a distance away, entanglement ensures that changing the state of one causes the other to change as well, allowing the teleportation of quantum information, if not matter. However, the distance particles can be from each other has been limited so far to a number of meters.

Teleportation over distances of a few hundred meters has previously only been accomplished with the photons traveling in fiber channels to help preserve their state. In this particular experiment, researchers maximally entangled two photons using both spatial and polarization modes and sent the one with higher energy through a ten-mile-long free space channel. They found that the distant photon was still able to respond to changes in state of the photon they held onto even at this unprecedented distance.

However, the long-distance teleportation of a photon is only a small step towards developing applications for the procedure. While photons are good at transmitting information, they are not as good as ions at allowing manipulation, an advancement we'd need for encryption. Researchers were also able to maintain the fidelity of the long-distance teleportation at 89 percent— decent enough for information, but still dangerous for the whole-body human teleportation that we're all looking forward to.

sorce<<link
edie

Back to top Go down

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space Empty Re: Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

Post by melodiccolor Thu May 20, 2010 2:32 am

Fascinating. Time will tell what becomes of all of this. (Pun intended.)
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space Empty Re: Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space

Post by seraphiasavina Thu May 20, 2010 11:46 am

Wow! That is really interesting... make sure to keep me informed if they every get advanced enough to move people. I hate traveling it would be extremely convenient. Though I'll make sure they get the kinks out before I attempt it Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space 205899
seraphiasavina
seraphiasavina

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivershine Thu May 20, 2010 11:50 am

seraphiasavina wrote:Wow! That is really interesting... make sure to keep me informed if they every get advanced enough to move people. I hate traveling it would be extremely convenient. Though I'll make sure they get the kinks out before I attempt it Quantum teleportation achieved over ten miles of free space 205899

Yeah. Since I was a kid, I always wanted to be able to teleport myself like they did on Star Trek. In fact, I still wish I could do that.

Although the Holodeck was cool too. Very Happy
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by edie Thu May 20, 2010 3:24 pm

makes me wonder if the first attempt with something live will it be like the movie "fly". where the man was spliced with a fly that flew in the machine when he was testing the machine on himself.
he turned into part man part fly roflol
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri May 21, 2010 7:25 pm

There seems to be a lack of recognition in these comments that consciousness is able to teleport - now.

Who wants to drag a bunch of meat around ?

I suspect this science will continue to misunderstand the fundamental relationship between matter and consciousness for as long as it's profitable - the War Machine I'm sure is salivating at the results.
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down