The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antique furniture

4 posters

Go down

Antique furniture Empty Antique furniture

Post by jaded Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 am

I have a few pieces of wood furniture from the depression era including a buffet,shaving dresser, snuff stand, and some in tables. I noticed they were getting dull. What do you all use on your wood furniture to keep it nice? I have always used Murphy's Oil Soap. But apparently it is not doing its job.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Antique furniture Empty Re: Antique furniture

Post by Pixie1970 Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:42 am

To remove old wax, dampen a piece of course cloth with cleaning fluid. (I recommend LIBERON antique cleaner restorer). Proceed by rubbing the wood in the direction of the grain. The wax will gradually soften and build up into a sludge and must be wiped from the surface with a clean rag before it dries out. Continue doing this until the wood is smooth and no more dirt comes off. You may have to use wire or steel wool 0000 grade (very fine) to remove thick wax. Dip it in the fluid as before but don't rub too vigorously. Finally clean the surface using a soft cloth and white spirit.

TIP
If you are unable to purchase a propriety brand of cleaner, you can make some yourself by mixing 4 parts white spirit to 1 part linseed oil.

Don't know if this works Shell.....will try and rub a bit on meself LOL Laughing
Pixie1970
Pixie1970

Back to top Go down

Post by edie Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:20 pm

i remember seeing something on tv. i think it was pretty much the same as what is in link. all natral and safe make your own.
make your own polish
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ishkabibble Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:06 am

Jaded,

You might find some helpful info here...
http://www.finefurniturecaresecrets.com/page/1050244

There is a difference between restoring and refinishing. Do not refinish antique furniture. It ruins the value. Original condition is prized by collectors even if that means a less than perfect appearance. Hope this helps.

Ish.... alien
Ishkabibble
Ishkabibble

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:47 pm

TY
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content