The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home remedies

+2
Merrily
melodiccolor
6 posters

Go down

Home remedies Empty Home remedies

Post by melodiccolor Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 pm

A lot of interesting home remedies that people have found worked well for them have come to light in the last couple of weeks of talking with people on this board. I thought they should be shared, since they had good success with them.

I have one that has been passed down from my grandmother for hiccups; it works every time. Mix on heaping tsp of sugar in an 8 oz or so class of cold water. Gulp it down and the hiccups are gone.

BlueEyes told me that drinking at least 4 cups of organic green tea has virtually erased the pain that was caused by arthritis. She just started doing this not too long ago.

Edie mentioned using garlic capsules, the kinds you get in vitamin stores, being quite effective against sinus infection. She can give you the details.

I'm sure many of you have things that work well too and are not expensive nor hard to find. Please post about them here.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Home remedies Empty Re: Home remedies

Post by Merrily Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:36 am

I have some. Here they are:

Vasoline: Use a pink highlighter marker and a dab of Vasoline in leiu of lip gloss if you are at the office and forget your makeup bag.
Vasoline: Use this around the edge of nails to help remove nail polish mistakes easily.
Lemon: Use a lemon wedge to whiten nail beds by rubbing it over each nail.
Olive Oil: Use olive oil to treat your cuticles.
Olive Oil: Dip a acotton swa in olive oil to help disloydge a stuck zipper.
Milk: Use it in lieu of shaving cream to shave your legs with. The lactic acid gently exfoliates the skin making each hair easier to remove.
Milk: Use mil and a cloth to buff away scuffs on patent leather shoes and purses.
Ice Cube Tray: Use it to organize necklaces, earrings and other accessories.
Banana Peel: If you scrape your knee or elbow, emollient properties in a banana peel will help heel the wound faster.
Banana Peel: Use the inside of a banana to plish scuffed shoes.
Toothpaste: Use to remove crayon marks off the wall.
Toothpaste: For scratched DVDs, take nongel toothpaste on a cotton ball and wipe from center out to the edge and then use a cloth to wipe the toothpaste away.
Toothpaste: Mix white toothpaste with baking soda to make a paste that will fill holes in white walls.
Hairdryer: Use the heat setting to melt crayon marks off the wall.
Hairdryer: Use the cool setting on the hair dryer to set the icing on your cakes and cupcakes giving them a more professional look and fresh.
Marshmallows: Sutff in the bottom of an ice cream cone to prevent the ice cream from leaking out the bottom.
Marshmallows: Place 2 or 3 in your box of brown sugar, they prevent the sugar from hardening.
Cornstarch: Use it to help unlock a knot in a shoelace or chain necklace.

There's more, but think that's enough for now. I saw this on Dr. Oz's show and than checked his website to get a list.
Merrily
Merrily

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:48 am

Thanks Merrily. Good to see you here again! Very Happy
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:24 am

Indeed.

Merrily, have you actually tried these things? I was thinking more of homeopathic or health remedies but these are useful too if you have and know they work.

I've seen such advice before but know that some of it is just passed along without trying it. Because I did try a thing or two...
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Merrily Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:44 pm

No, I haven't tried them. They looked good. I guess this isn't considered health kinds of aids, but more for household chores.

I saw the cornstarch demonstrated and saw that it works.
Merrily
Merrily

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueEyes Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:32 am

I am quite please with the results of the green tea. big grin

cat cat cat cat geek
BlueEyes
BlueEyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:46 pm

Horse radish and garlic capsules are fabulous for sinus...especially with the addition of marhsmallow. Actually I am in need of them now so must remember this reminder...

Lemon and warm water is a great early morning cleanse for the body..twenty minutes before breakfast and making sure when squeezing the lemon you add the flesh as well. It carries the important .nutrients to help the body absorb....I must heed that reminder too.

If anyone has a child that suffers croup...or for any congested tight chest from a cold.......onion sliced finally with honey drizzled over is great...You cover the mixture with wrap and let sit for half hour or so and then take teapsoons of the liquid syrup that forms from the onion and honey....It isnt the nicest of tastes but it works a treat....six or seven doses before one might feel the loosening of the mucous or longer.....You only have to make a fresh batch if things are really bad..onions are a natural antibiotic as are lemons...good for a sensitve who cannot take meds...thats me!!

If your cats get furball, a teaspoon of castor oil given to them orally helps to dislodge the ball.....

Oh for general health, a tonic I take is olive leaf extract...it is brilliant will kill any bug in the body....you dont need to take all the time just a few weeks at a time...it is pretty potent so ensure you take it with food....some of us sensitives have sensitive digestive tracts so with food is better.

A good vitamin B capsule in times of stress is really imperative for my sensitive nature because our body depletes much of these and things like magnesium and other minerals incorporated helps to build up the stores to cope...Even in extreme levels of stress this can be really helpful....takes the edge off the drama....allows for more clarity.

this thread reminded me of when I was young and I used to watch my grandmother tend to her ill health with a bottle of soda water and of all things which doesnt resonate with me......bread in warm milk......yuck I dont know about that one because I do not drink cows milk cannot stand it alone..in tea I am fine but as a meal yuckky.....

Yes the green tea is one of my health drinks also.....I feel like it assists my body in a healthy way...I like the addition of jasmine...yummy
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:46 pm

I've now had 4 veterinarians say that adding a bit of cooked pumpkin to cat's food or feeding it to them directly daily really helps prevent hair balls and has vital nutrients for them. I've been giving it to my cats daily now, mixed in their food and it seems it really does help. Canned pumpkin is fine; I freeze small amounts in ice cube trays and just bring one out at a time; it lasts a couple of days.

Alethia, I'll keep those remedies in mind.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:27 am

Pumpkin for furball that is interesting ....I wonder if my cat would eat it though. He is a fussy eater and will only eat Lambs kidneys and chicken livers......it's not fun cutting them up but what his highness wants, his highness gets LOL!
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:31 am

Is there any juice or gravy from the kidneys and livers? You might try mixing a bit of the pumpkin with that.

Btw, from what I've read, if your cat isn't eating cat food or fresh kill, you need to get him some cat vitamins to make up for what he doesn't get in the wild.

Another idea to get him to eat the pumpkin is to mix it with pan drippings from meat that you cook for your family if you aren't vegetarians. Just be sure the drippings are free of onion and pepper.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:45 am

The livers and kidneys are the real deal....not processed. Blood is about all that comes out of them....yuck! Pumpkin mixed with blood hmmmm sounds delicious!!lol! I might try him out though and see what his royal highness thinks.....
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:51 am

Let me know how it turns out. Btw, I read that chicken livers that come from factory farms can be high in arsenic; there was a warning out on that here, about not eating them if under a certain age or pregnant.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Alethia wrote:The livers and kidneys are the real deal....not processed. Blood is about all that comes out of them....yuck! Pumpkin mixed with blood hmmmm sounds delicious!!lol! I might try him out though and see what his royal highness thinks.....

Ohhhh ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww............

My Grandmother used to give us yellow root for a sore throat followed by a piece of spreamint gum! It was nasty
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:19 pm

BlueEyes wrote:I am quite please with the results of the green tea. big grin

cat cat cat cat geek

My sons doc swears by it. He drinks it daily. Me? I like regular old black Lipton
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Merrily wrote:I have some. Here they are:

Vasoline: Use a pink highlighter marker and a dab of Vasoline in leiu of lip gloss if you are at the office and forget your makeup bag.
Vasoline: Use this around the edge of nails to help remove nail polish mistakes easily.
Lemon: Use a lemon wedge to whiten nail beds by rubbing it over each nail.
Olive Oil: Use olive oil to treat your cuticles.
Olive Oil: Dip a acotton swa in olive oil to help disloydge a stuck zipper.
Milk: Use it in lieu of shaving cream to shave your legs with. The lactic acid gently exfoliates the skin making each hair easier to remove.
Milk: Use mil and a cloth to buff away scuffs on patent leather shoes and purses.
Ice Cube Tray: Use it to organize necklaces, earrings and other accessories.
Banana Peel: If you scrape your knee or elbow, emollient properties in a banana peel will help heel the wound faster.
Banana Peel: Use the inside of a banana to plish scuffed shoes.
Toothpaste: Use to remove crayon marks off the wall.
Toothpaste: For scratched DVDs, take nongel toothpaste on a cotton ball and wipe from center out to the edge and then use a cloth to wipe the toothpaste away.
Toothpaste: Mix white toothpaste with baking soda to make a paste that will fill holes in white walls.
Hairdryer: Use the heat setting to melt crayon marks off the wall.
Hairdryer: Use the cool setting on the hair dryer to set the icing on your cakes and cupcakes giving them a more professional look and fresh.
Marshmallows: Sutff in the bottom of an ice cream cone to prevent the ice cream from leaking out the bottom.
Marshmallows: Place 2 or 3 in your box of brown sugar, they prevent the sugar from hardening.
Cornstarch: Use it to help unlock a knot in a shoelace or chain necklace.

There's more, but think that's enough for now. I saw this on Dr. Oz's show and than checked his website to get a list.

Toothpaste works for scrathced cds & dvds. My kids do it
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm

melodiccolor wrote:Let me know how it turns out. Btw, I read that chicken livers that come from factory farms can be high in arsenic; there was a warning out on that here, about not eating them if under a certain age or pregnant.

Shit maybe my cat loves arsenic........ah you know what, I would trust my cat over some warning out.......unless of course it was made up by a dog....especially the one next door that hates my cat. Laughing and rolling
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down