The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expectations and the Law of Attractions

+8
Grasshopper
SimplyNan
Bluedream
Oneiros
JackNConnor
RBM
Nucky
melodiccolor
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Expectations and the Law of Attractions - Page 2 Empty Re: Expectations and the Law of Attractions

Post by adain Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:31 am

Sorry, guys......short attention span tonight. The answer is yes, I believe! I'll add my two cents later....I've dropped about thirty IQ points tonight (getting a little desperate for alone time, it could be messy.)
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Expectations and the Law of Attractions - Page 2 Empty Re: Expectations and the Law of Attractions

Post by edie Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:24 am

the 3 fold- like do to other you would like done to you but alittle more deeper. anything you do will return to you 3 fold. meaning it comes back to you 3 times worse or better.
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 07, 2010 12:36 am

A good philosophy to live by.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Fri May 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Had forgotten about this thread until you brought it up again.

What rankles me about the Law of Attraction is much the same thing that irritates me about fundamentalist religion, and that is magical thinking. I don't believe mothers in Beverly Hills are praying harder for their kids than mothers in Sudan, and I don't believe fathers living on Park Ave. are attracting a nice penthouse because of nice wishes, while a Dad in Port-au-Prince is attracting earthquakes because he's sending out rumbling vibes.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded Fri May 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Hester Prynn wrote:Had forgotten about this thread until you brought it up again.

What rankles me about the Law of Attraction is much the same thing that irritates me about fundamentalist religion, and that is magical thinking. I don't believe mothers in Beverly Hills are praying harder for their kids than mothers in Sudan, and I don't believe fathers living on Park Ave. are attracting a nice penthouse because of nice wishes, while a Dad in Port-au-Prince is attracting earthquakes because he's sending out rumbling vibes.

I agree with you here. Only I couldn't put in proper wording. I usually expect the best out of people. I get the opposite.
Let me tell you something else, I don't see the good deed thing coming back in greater amounts either. My experience is the more I do for people the more they take advantage. I don't understand it.
jaded
jaded

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri May 07, 2010 6:02 pm

jaded wrote:
Hester Prynn wrote:Had forgotten about this thread until you brought it up again.

I agree with you here. Only I couldn't put in proper wording. I usually expect the best out of people. I get the opposite.
Let me tell you something else, I don't see the good deed thing coming back in greater amounts either. My experience is the more I do for people the more they take advantage. I don't understand it.

.'

I usually expect the best out of people.

People do the best they can. One ALWAYS gets the best from another person - that's not the problem. The problem is YOUR interpretation of the other person's BEST. Expectations and the Law of Attractions - Page 2 454835

My take on 'I don't understand it -
The Bottom Line - I suspect the moment you come to understand it, will be a 'light bulb' moment (Aha !!) I've seen this theme often in your posts and I read a narrow band of threads, here. And you will 'feel' it.

Last edited by RBM on Fri May 07, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Fri May 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: The Law of Attractions

The most nuanced understanding and explanation I have come across regarding this is from Tom Campbell:

... the law of attraction may work--but if you abuse it you may get a smack with a stick rather than (or along with) the carrot you wished for. Don't try to force the LCS [Larger Consciousness System] to work against its own best evolutionary interests.

RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat May 08, 2010 5:21 pm

melodiccolor wrote:There is so much to consider here, I hardly know where to begin. I'll probably state my thoughts and impressions in several posts as I'm still mulling a lot of it over.

One thing that occures to me; that we can have perfect health simpy by believing we do have it and experiencing it belies getting blindsided from time to time on things we were definately NOT focusing on; it wasn't a part of our reality. Such things includes the progressive disability I was born with or the life threatening cancer that derailed another member's life. We both believed we could recover and indeed we both have to an extent. But I still live with the effects of that disability and she still lives with the aftermath of that cancer.

Perhaps we can irradicate these things, but how did we get them in the first place if, as is stated, we never even thought of those things?

There is merrit in the idea that if you put in your wishes for more money and then just go about your life, just having that focus there in the back of your mind will cause events to happen to deliver it. I am coming to believe in that.

But before I heard of this idea, I had learned from experience that no matter what I do or try, however it turns out is in fact the right path for me. If it doesn't work out exactly as planned, it always leads to a new path and the lessons learned along the way, the knowledge gained has always served me well. This is a bit different than focusing on an outcome and it seems to be just as valid.

Time and space may indeed be meaningless. I have a fairly decent background in quaatum mechanics and m theory as well. But while I can read anyone anywere on the planet with ease, I can not read off the earth. I know life is out there and we must be connected to it as a part of the universe, but I can't sense it that way I can life on earth. So I'm not sure it is entirely meaningless at all. I just know I am entangled firmly as part of the life of earth.

Hester; it is true, we don't control what is thrown at us; the hand we are dealt. Sometimes there is nothing we can do with what happens; the recent death of Iowa Runner is a very good example of that. And sometimes the hand we are dealt is so good, that nothing we can do can undermine it. But in most circumstances, we do have influence over what happens to us; the decisions we make and the beliefs we have do influence the outcome.

With that in mind, RBM, I considered the full implications of your last post and much came to mind. It can all be summed up succinctly as: big grin . I love the implications of this one.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sun May 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Implications ?

Like ummmm ... looking in the mirror can be HARD ?

For me, recently, it's become much easier ,,, and actually enjoyable sometimes :-)
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by edie Sun May 09, 2010 10:14 pm

most of all that makes sence but i still have one question? why did that not work years ago when i beleaved everyone had good,i can do anything and be anything,people wouldnt dare treat me wrong because i treat then well, everything is grand ect. ?
this dont make sence to me. before i got to the age i started to feal browbeat i did what you all described. i only started to have "negitive thoughts" when it proved that all my good thoughts did me no good and learn to expect the worst and hope for the best.
though the way i thought before only cushioned me from the constant depression and fealing "what the point".
edie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Sun May 09, 2010 10:23 pm

edie wrote:most of all that makes sence but i still have one question? why did that not work years ago when i beleaved everyone had good,i can do anything and be anything,people wouldnt dare treat me wrong because i treat then well, everything is grand ect. ?
this dont make sence to me. before i got to the age i started to feal browbeat i did what you all described. i only started to have "negitive thoughts" when it proved that all my good thoughts did me no good and learn to expect the worst and hope for the best.
though the way i thought before only cushioned me from the constant depression and fealing "what the point".

Now that you mention it, I've had similar experiences Edie.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sun May 09, 2010 10:43 pm

It is not that people will not do harm; it is clear that they do. It is more that if you believe a positive outcome is possible, you will tend to subconsciously act in such a way as to increase the chances of it happening. As I said before, it will not always be in the way you expect it to be; most times it is not. Still it is worthwhile.

You still need to be able to tell the ones who will use you to their advantage from those who are on the level.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Mon May 10, 2010 12:24 pm

RBM wrote:

People do the best they can. One ALWAYS gets the best from another person - that's not the problem. The problem is YOUR interpretation of the other person's BEST. Expectations and the Law of Attractions - Page 2 454835

Nice RBM!

But what about evil?
It seems to me that there are times when I have done things that were deliberately hurtful and harmful to others.
Was that truly my best at the time?
I hope not, but I do believe we continually have choices and can improve.
I also believe, that when we deliberately do wrong, we still can wind up right where we were meant to be. It's as if, although if we had chosen A door, it would have been better than choosing door B, and yet both lead back to the beginning, and we start choosing all over.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Sister Mon May 10, 2010 12:39 pm

melodiccolor wrote:
But before I heard of this idea, I had learned from experience that no matter what I do or try, however it turns out is in fact the right path for me. If it doesn't work out exactly as planned, it always leads to a new path and the lessons learned along the way, the knowledge gained has always served me well. This is a bit different than focusing on an outcome and it seems to be just as valid.

.....Hester; it is true, we don't control what is thrown at us; the hand we are dealt. Sometimes there is nothing we can do with what happens; the recent death of Iowa Runner is a very good example of that. And sometimes the hand we are dealt is so good, that nothing we can do can undermine it. But in most circumstances, we do have influence over what happens to us; the decisions we make and the beliefs we have do influence the outcome.

Yes, I follow the "right path" model. Very Happy I believe what we're dealt has nothing and everything to do with us. The stuff of life doesn't change. We do. We grow, mature, and possibly our awareness changes, so that we can begin to see more possiblities that maybe weren't available when younger. Likewise we develop more abilities that we can employ that we couldn't when young. We can, to a certain extent, exert some control over of lives. I believe in free will, but I believe it is far more limited than we most people are comfortable with. That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't work for change. In fact, it is through hard work, that we gain the most control and freedom. I also believe in doing so, doing good is reward is it's own reward. Even if the worldly results are disasterous. Here, I'm thinking of the examples of Socrates, Jesus, al-Halaj, and others who have sacrificed self for others.
Little Sister
Little Sister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum