The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question for the ladies, if I may

+6
melodiccolor
lula may
namasteheather
WissyWig
Justin Passing
Nucky
10 posters

Go down

A question for the ladies, if I may Empty A question for the ladies, if I may

Post by Nucky Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Is it normal for women to spend several hours a day in the bathroom?
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

A question for the ladies, if I may Empty Re: A question for the ladies, if I may

Post by Justin Passing Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:57 pm

nuckinfutz wrote:Is it normal for women to spend several hours a day in the bathroom?
It would appear to be Nucky, although it's not true of all women, only some women. I expect there are some men out there who do that too, but I haven't run into them so far.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

A question for the ladies, if I may Empty Re: A question for the ladies, if I may

Post by WissyWig Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Normal? Not sure I'm qualified to answer this question, lol.

Well, I don't spend hours in the bathroom. I assume you're talking about primping and preening in front of the mirror. I avoid mirrors at all costs, and when I do manage to catch a glimpse of myself I tend to get out of there asap.

Whether or not I can speak on behalf of all women...well, I can't. hee.
WissyWig
WissyWig

http://www.myspace.com/designs-by-indigolden

Back to top Go down

Post by namasteheather Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm not really sure what a woman would be doing in the bathroom for several hours, but now I'm curious as to why you're asking.
namasteheather
namasteheather

Back to top Go down

Post by lula may Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:42 pm

I guess I'm on the girly end, so I'll share. I'm wondering what 'several' means in your post though. Two hours? I'd call that normal for a woman (maybe on the high maintenence end, but normal) who does full hair and makeup daily. More than that would be unusual in my opinion, in excess of three hours is approaching prom and wedding level preening. Excluding intestinal distress, four would be unheard of. That's about all I've got. Like Heather, you've got me curious Nucky!
lula may
lula may

Back to top Go down

Post by namasteheather Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:46 pm

Now I'm thinking.......maybe if you include a really long bath, some kind of long hair removal routine, hair dyeing, or something like that it might be a few hours.
namasteheather
namasteheather

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:02 pm

There are a couple of things I've noticed over the years. (Warning - all statements contain gross generalizations that may or may not apply to any particular individual, male or female. I could also be completely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. (lol))

First, women tend to go to the bathroom more often than men. Why, I've no idea. And that's not a rule, it's just a general pattern I've observed. Also, men are often a bit quicker in the bathroom, for some rather obvious physical reasons. Of course, men who like to read in the bathroom put the lie to that last bit, but still ...

Second, women tend to spend more time making themselves pretty than men do, and the bathroom is where they do that. For a lot of men, if such things exist at all in their lives, it's limited to a quick glance in the mirror. (Exception - the disco era (lol)) But for most women (again, not all) dealing with and touching up their appearance is a simple fact of life. It's one of life's rituals, and is typically a source of self-confidence. A man gets ready to meet the world by "puffing up", something that doesn't usually require time in the bathroom, but women typically get ready by checking out their appearance.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 am

I don't spend a lot of time dealing with cosmetics and such, but it does take time for one reason; I have very thick hair and it takes time to clean it and get all the shampoo out of it. I also have to brush it more than a few times a day while I'm growing it out. I use no conditioners or other hair products.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:42 am

I was asking because some people I know do lol.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStargazer Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:02 am

I spend up to two hours at once (usually closer to one hour or 1.5 though) in the bathroom once a day - that's to shower (I take 20min showers...I think/zone out in the shower), dry my hair, put in contact lenses, apply makeup, dress, and other little details like putting on deoderant and cleaning up my oft out-of-control eyebrows Razz

Perhaps those women you know have bowel issues that keep them revisiting bathroom lol clown
TheStargazer
TheStargazer

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:59 am

Nucky, just be glad that society doesn't require you or other men to wear cosmetics (although the option is there.... Razz )
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Safari Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:26 am

As a general rule, I try to spend as little time in the bathroom as possible. Occasionally I like to take a long bath (which often comes more from the desire to be alone for a while than anything else), but I really can't be bothered spending too much time in there otherwise. For my job I am expected to do my hair and make up to a fairly high standard, and I consider this the bain of my life, even if I feel more confident in my appearance afterwards, lol. I do it as quickly as possible. I like to look presentable, but I don't feel the need to overdo it on my days off, unless I'm going somewhere special. This is a far cry from my late teens/early 20's.
Safari
Safari

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:14 am

Safari wrote:As a general rule, I try to spend as little time in the bathroom as possible. Occasionally I like to take a long bath (which often comes more from the desire to be alone for a while than anything else), but I really can't be bothered spending too much time in there otherwise. For my job I am expected to do my hair and make up to a fairly high standard, and I consider this the bain of my life, even if I feel more confident in my appearance afterwards, lol. I do it as quickly as possible. I like to look presentable, but I don't feel the need to overdo it on my days off, unless I'm going somewhere special. This is a far cry from my late teens/early 20's.

I could have written this post. Very Happy All I can say is DITTO. lol
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:00 am

It depends. If I'm going to the studio to shoot pictures or meeting with clients then yes I can easily spend and hour or more in the bathroom getting ready. It takes time to apply paint and spackle.Laughing

On the days I don't have an actual shoot and I'm just going to be processing pictures, cleaning house or running errands etc. 20 minutes and I'm good to go. Very Happy
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by WissyWig Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:31 am

Women go to the bathroom more often than men, I think, because we have significantly smaller bladders. Men can drink a six pack and wait a day; after a half hour of drinking a Snapple we feel like water balloons. Razz

My showers are significantly long because my hair is thick like melodic's. It takes a century to wash it and detangle it and brush it (and it's not even long anymore). I don't wear my contact lenses that much anymore so I don't need the mirror too much once the basics are complete.

Paint and spackle... laughing
WissyWig
WissyWig

http://www.myspace.com/designs-by-indigolden

Back to top Go down

Post by namasteheather Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:21 pm

I remember when I was pregnant and by about the 8th month, I couldn't drink an entire glass of water without having to go to the bathroom. By the time I was done with the first half of it, I'd have to go. I ended up going about twice a night at least in the last month or so. And then the midwife was always telling me "be sure to drink plenty of water." By the end I felt like I should just spend my whole life in the bathroom. LOL.
Oh man I'm so glad life isn't always like that!
namasteheather
namasteheather

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down