The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naivety and self-protection as HSP

3 posters

Go down

Naivety and self-protection as HSP Empty Naivety and self-protection as HSP

Post by Cat Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:04 pm

It's very very difficult for me to pay attention to things like the news, headlines, etc. to the point where I have to kinda build this self-preserving little bubble to live in just so I can function/feel ok.

Whenever talking to people, I come across as really naive/stupid because of this, and have trouble making small-talk around current topics.

Does anyone else encounter this or have tips for dealing with it?
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Naivety and self-protection as HSP Empty Re: Naivety and self-protection as HSP

Post by melodiccolor Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:48 pm

I don't follow the day to day news, but I do follow the larger stories from an overall largest picture possible perspective. I'm fairly aware of trends, how it relates to history, etc. This allows me to discuss most of what people talk about on the very very shallow sensationalistic anxiety provoking daily news sources. I don't do it for this reason, but to stay aware of what matters. It is a benefit however.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:06 pm

That's a good approach. What sources do you use for that?
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:44 pm

No one source; information just seems to show through a variety of ways without my having to search it out too often. It's mostly I just am aware and I do scan headlines quickly for anything of interest.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Riana Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:35 pm

I tend to shy away from the news as well. I've never quite understood the appeal of sitting in your sofa after an exhausting day at work and letting your mind be engulfed with negative images and messages about how the world is going to hell in a basket. You sit there taking it all in and there's very little you can do about all the misery in the world, leaving you with a horrible feeling of powerlessness.
However, I do think there are different kinds of news sources. You could try to find a newspaper or website which is more in-depth than sensational. I've recently tried reading the local Financial Times, which is more about business but which also gives an overview of the news in a way that agrees with me more. But most of the time I just try to shut the world out because otherwise I'd just feel enraged and very very sad all the time.
Riana
Riana

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:56 pm

Riana wrote:But most of the time I just try to shut the world out because otherwise I'd just feel enraged and very very sad all the time.

Agreed =/
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down