The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HSP Comedy vs. Seriousness

2 posters

Go down

HSP Comedy vs. Seriousness  Empty HSP Comedy vs. Seriousness

Post by Cat Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:58 pm

I was listening to an interview with a musician where he was discussing his approach to writing autobiographical albums, and it seems like he is also an HSP. I relate a lot to what he's saying about being at war with himself over what is significant and what isn't -

"Because I am so sensitive, I experience things as if NO ONE else has EVER experienced them, which is preposterous. So when I write I'm like, 'THIS IS THE  MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL TIME!'
And everyone's like, 'Yeah, yeah. Yeah, we understand. We say the same thing. We got over that when we were 15.'
And I'm like, "NO BUT LOOOVE!"
And they're like "no, yeah, we know."
And I'm like, "YEAH BUT HAAATE!"
ANd they're like "no, yea, we know that too"
And I'm like "YEAH BUT DRUGS! YOU DONT GET IT IM THE ONLY ONEEE"
And they're like "yeah, but you're not."

So the duality of it all is kinda where I'm stuck, and I probably will be for the rest of my life. So if I experience something that I think of as profound, like a moment of spiritual significance that to me is of utmost importance, the other side of my personality is just.."yeah, ya know, you're an idiot! For thinking THAT is of ANY significance." So you know its both, so the self-deprecating humor for me isn't for the sake of the audience. I'm not trying to be self-deprecating to be all, "oh im so silly, aw" Its just..me. I experience something that I think is HIGHLY SIGNIFICANT and then I think I'm an idiot for feeling that."

On one hand I think it's great to see things this way, because I don't take anything too seriously and see it all as a comedy. At the same time I wonder, "Should I try to take things more seriously? Am I a crappy writer because I prefer to write conversational ramblings on my blog rather than refined essays? Do I need to write refined essays to show I care about writing? Am I a faker if I'm literary one day and profane the next? etc.

What do you think?
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

HSP Comedy vs. Seriousness  Empty Re: HSP Comedy vs. Seriousness

Post by Alethia Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Cat wrote:I was listening to an interview with a musician where he was discussing his approach to writing autobiographical albums, and it seems like he is also an HSP. I relate a lot to what he's saying about being at war with himself over what is significant and what isn't -

"Because I am so sensitive, I experience things as if NO ONE else has EVER experienced them, which is preposterous. So when I write I'm like, 'THIS IS THE  MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL TIME!'
And everyone's like, 'Yeah, yeah. Yeah, we understand. We say the same thing. We got over that when we were 15.'
And I'm like, "NO BUT LOOOVE!"
And they're like "no, yeah, we know."
And I'm like, "YEAH BUT HAAATE!"
ANd they're like "no, yea, we know that too"
And I'm like "YEAH BUT DRUGS! YOU DONT GET IT IM THE ONLY ONEEE"
And they're like "yeah, but you're not."

So the duality of it all is kinda where I'm stuck, and I probably will be for the rest of my life. So if I experience something that I think of as profound, like a moment of spiritual significance that to me is of utmost importance, the other side of my personality is just.."yeah, ya know, you're an idiot! For thinking THAT is of ANY significance." So you know its both, so the self-deprecating humor for me isn't for the sake of the audience. I'm not trying to be self-deprecating to be all, "oh im so silly, aw" Its just..me. I experience something that I think is HIGHLY SIGNIFICANT and then I think I'm an idiot for feeling that."

On one hand I think it's great to see things this way, because I don't take anything too seriously and see it all as a comedy. At the same time I wonder, "Should I try to take things more seriously? Am I a crappy writer because I prefer to write conversational ramblings on my blog rather than refined essays? Do I need to write refined essays to show I care about writing? Am I a faker if I'm literary one day and profane the next? etc.

What do you think?

I like how your reflecting upon yourself in this post.

I guess for me I accept myself through the whole range of connections I form and create to be. So even as I might write or engage light hearted, the deeper aspects of me are not moved out of the way, but inclusive as one into that creation. So in this way I am not at war with myself but integrated as myself to express all of me in the way I choose.

Does that make sense?

Being yourself is just being as you know and can be. Your questioning is opening up that somewhere in you your aware now that you might want to open to this so it is more apart of you rather than dismissing it as unimportant.

Integration to the totality of you being you, means every part of you serves you into a more complete person who then utilizes into ONE any aspect of themselves they want to convey, whether it be in writing, connection or creativity in other ways.

I think the benefits of being hsp is that we can build a toolbox of inclusiveness into creativity, more so, not needing to dismiss one aspect to do another, but more aware that it all deepens into one space of creation in the way we want to create.

Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:16 pm

I guess for me I accept myself through the whole range of connections I form and create to be. So even as I might write or engage light hearted, the deeper aspects of me are not moved out of the way, but inclusive as one into that creation. So in this way I am not at war with myself but integrated as myself to express all of me in the way I choose.

Looking back on this, and after studying more interviews with this musician - I see that he has the same struggle of simple self-acceptance of his very emotional, sensitive nature.

I've noticed in his twitter posts that he champions empathy, and dislikes being challenged intellectually. (Sounds also like myself/INFJs - we want others to treat us gently, and use intellect/rationalization as a type of armor.)

Learning a lot Smile
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 am

Cat wrote:

Looking back on this, and after studying more interviews with this musician - I see that he has the same struggle of simple self-acceptance of his very emotional, sensitive nature.

I've noticed in his twitter posts that he champions empathy, and dislikes being challenged intellectually. (Sounds also like myself/INFJs - we want others to treat us gently, and use intellect/rationalization as a type of armor.)

Learning a lot Smile

"Sounds like myself and INFJs..." That's not true, think what I meant here was I dislike being obliterated by unreasonable outrage and aggression, not disagreement. Healthy conflict is just growth trying to happen.
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Sun May 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Alethia wrote:
I like how your reflecting upon yourself in this post.

Does that make sense?

Being yourself is just being as you know and can be. Your questioning is opening up that somewhere in you your aware now that you might want to open to this so it is more apart of you rather than dismissing it as unimportant.

Integration to the totality of you being you, means every part of you serves you into a more complete person who then utilizes into ONE any aspect of themselves they want to convey, whether it be in writing, connection or creativity in other ways.

I think the benefits of being hsp is that we can build a toolbox of inclusiveness into creativity, more so, not needing to dismiss one aspect to do another, but more aware that it all deepens into one space of creation in the way we want to create.

And this is the best post! <3
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down