The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HSP, Energy and Ambition

3 posters

Go down

HSP, Energy and Ambition Empty HSP, Energy and Ambition

Post by melodiccolor Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Denmarkguy posted another article on a concern he's long had; that of not having the ambition of those around him, or not being motivated to do more than is barely necessary to get basic needs met. Ambition, High Sensitivity, Too Many Interests and Having "Enough" http://www.hspnotes.com/2015/08/ambition-high-sensitivity-too-many.html

I've noticed this is a topic he's written about more than a few times as it seems to be one he's working on. I've also noticed he's not alone with this issue. It seems so common that we all have endless great ideas, a fountain of creativity within us, yet the energy to pursue it all seems lacking as well as the motivation to take it to realization. So I processed this for awhile, and this is what I came up with.

Being HSP takes more energy. That is we use more of it to process the vastly greater amounts of information we take in from everything. This I suspect still leaves us with plenty to do everything we want to. Until, something else comes along to use still more of the remaining energy. In Denmarkguy's case, that is ADD. In my case it's physical challenges due to a disability I am slowly overcoming. For others it can be emotional issues that use massive amounts of energy. The end results are the same; less energy for doing many things we'd like to do. I've also noticed in me that my desires and ambitions tend to match the amount of given energy available at any time. I wonder if it's the same for other? I suspect so in many cases.

Your thoughts?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

HSP, Energy and Ambition Empty Re: HSP, Energy and Ambition

Post by Zen Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:41 am

I think HSP doesn't necessarily take more energy, I think we spend more energy worrying and processing things from a far when non HSP seem to do it faster without thinking about everything we are sensitive to.
I think it's called rumination when you're an introvert.

You have to think about it, think about it some more, worry a bit, process it, watch it, look at it from a bunch of different views, go over it again, and after some more thinking or talking about it you get it.

Processing and digesting stuff as HSP, especially intense emotional stuff is super long and takes energy.
I'm working on getting around this.
Seems like I can speed it up and put less energy into it if I just deal with it like an idiot in the moment, releasing those emotions without as much thinking and outcome weighing and examining from multiple viewpoints and all that other highly sensitive people may be doing.

I have a lot of ambition....

In my case I found all that energy consuming processing was to cope with the world and it's surprises from a safe, manageable distance. Like TV...
Protect other people from my intense emotional responses, or protect myself from theirs...
It's all very tiring.

I found some social sensitivity came from underestimating myself. When you underestimate yourself or hide from temporary discomfort (which is all it is in the end, and after you get used to it it's not that big a thing), you are draining yourself of energy.
After you allow yourself to be very uncomfortable rather than withdraw, eventually you get comfortable with it and then you don't have to spend and energy time coping as much.

I think HSP tend to get massively uncomfortable, overwhelmed, then they avoid those situations at all costs rather than explore till their comfort zone expands, so we get all these mental work arounds for what Non HSP just do.
Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Alethia Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:41 am

melodiccolor wrote:Denmarkguy posted another article on a concern he's long had;  that of not having the ambition of those around him, or not being motivated to do more than is barely necessary to get basic needs met. Ambition, High Sensitivity, Too Many Interests and Having "Enough"  http://www.hspnotes.com/2015/08/ambition-high-sensitivity-too-many.html

I've noticed this is a topic he's written about more than a few times as it seems to be one he's working on.  I've also noticed he's not alone with this issue.  It seems so common that we all have endless great ideas, a fountain of creativity within us, yet the energy to pursue it all seems lacking as well as the motivation to take it to realization.  So I processed this for awhile, and this is what I came up with.

Being HSP takes more energy.  That is we use more of it to process the vastly greater amounts of information we take in from everything.  This I suspect still leaves us with plenty to do everything we want to.  Until, something else comes along to use still more of the remaining energy.  In Denmarkguy's case, that is ADD.  In my case it's physical challenges due to a disability I am slowly overcoming.  For others it can be emotional issues that use massive amounts of energy.  The end results are the same;  less energy for doing many things we'd like to do.  I've also noticed in me that my desires and ambitions tend to match the amount of given energy available at any time.  I wonder if it's the same for other?  I suspect so in many cases.

Your thoughts?

I am finding now, when I am channelling fully into a few things, I don't have the energy to pursue all the other ideas that constantly stream in. In some ways I am finding less is best and focus fully. I realize now when walking through my awakening, why I was shown to walk step by step, meaning being present more so in the moment of what is, it was going to be an important tool to know for myself on this side of being very open and flowing and so much in everyway opening in myself.  I notice that if I let all the many things start creeping into my focus, I lose focus and nothing really gets complete. I am clear now, but still its a balancing act to focus, complete and let all those incoming ideas be there without letting them take over my space and energy. When my energy was up and moving me in many directions, creativity blown wide open, connections and interactions were full on, the high level of energy in that opening up state was always going to balance and come back down to reality and it always did. In some ways I feel slow as a snail, but I feel more focused. I think you have to build fulfilment at this point, where you complete tasks, creative ideas,  in ways where it builds in you a deeper feeling of accomplishment, rather than scattered into so much and not building a greater sense of fulfilment.

I feel like I am in a space where I prioritize and work that way now. Even as I am very open to life and lots of things. I am finding that the need to do a lot has waned in me. I am quite happy doing less and when I need to do more, I do less in the more as I can.

I look at all those things to do as the rest of my life to do them. And for now, I want to build that focus to complete one at a time, slowly but surely and remembering to stay focused.

Gosh it takes all my energy just to eat, exercise and shop for food and prepare it..That is the other side of this, the more health conscious you become the more you will invest energetically into that space to ensure you stay fit and healthy.

I can feel myself being really ok being a hermit..doing what I need to do to get by. Wink
Alethia
Alethia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down