The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who's HSP and why; a discussion of traits

4 posters

Go down

Who's HSP and why; a discussion of traits Empty Who's HSP and why; a discussion of traits

Post by BlueTopaz Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:44 am

This won't be a scientific conversation, rather an anecdotal one. More to explore the traits and situations of the HSP in the world.

I thought about discussing who you think is an HSP as far as famous people are concerned and why. The reasons may be enlightening for all of us.

I want to start with Heath Ledger.
Now I get into trouble cuz I am now having trouble thinking of how to verbalize my feelings as to why he was HSP.
I'm thinking first because he was so completely able to immerse himself in the characters he played. I read that he would hole himself up in a room for days and months and "become" that person. To me this indicates an incredible amount of empathy.
I myself wanted to become an actor for that very reason. I can easily become someone else, and sometimes that is a relief! To step outside myself and the sometimes overwhelming depth of who and what I am. I like acting. As a confession.... when I was younger (late teens and twenties) I would dress up as a role and go outside into the world and play that role. I dressed up as a man, a lesbian, a foreigner (someone who could not speak english) and other things. It was very interesting. I wouldn't mind sharing some of those experiences if anyone is interested (perhaps in a private forum).

Second aspect of Mr. Ledger: the way he died. It seems like he was self medicating because all of his feelings and that what he "was" was overwhelming for him at times. Of course, I am just speculating, I don't know this for sure. Again, I have done this myself. Sometimes the world and the feelings (both physical and emotional) are so overwhelming I feel like I cannot be in my own skin. I just want to escape! To be "comfortably numb".

So, a question.... are these aspects or traits of HSP? I'm sure every human has them, but for us they are amplified. And as HSPs, we are capable of more easily recognizing them in others.

Last edited by BlueTopaz on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Who's HSP and why; a discussion of traits Empty Re: Who's HSP and why; a discussion of traits

Post by BlueTopaz Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:46 am

oops, made a mistake.... Embarassed
not yet awake or with it this morning. Cool
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Who's HSP and why; a discussion of traits Empty Re: Who's HSP and why; a discussion of traits

Post by BlueTopaz Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:52 pm

BlueTopaz wrote: As a confession.... when I was younger (late teens and twenties) I would dress up as a role and go outside into the world and play that role. I dressed up as a man, a lesbian, a foreigner (someone who could not speak english) and other things. It was very interesting. I wouldn't mind sharing some of those experiences if anyone is interested (perhaps in a private forum).

Okay, talk about serendipity...
After I posted this I started perusing the forum and went to As The HSP Turns. lol
I started reading about "EM" and her various personas. Let me say that I never tried to "fool" or manipulate anyone I knew. For example, I never really talked to anyone when I was dressed as a man. I just observed the way I was treated. I figured I couldn't really pull it off that well. Laughing and I walked around at night. LOL
For me it was like a street performance art piece.
And now days I actually like myself well enough to be completely honest about who I am, but that is a different story for another thread.... LOL
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Trien Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:07 pm

[color=green]As a confession.... when I was younger (late teens and twenties) I would dress up as a role and go outside into the world and play that role. I dressed up as a man, a lesbian, a foreigner (someone who could not speak english) and other things. It was very interesting. I wouldn't mind sharing some of those experiences if anyone is interested (perhaps in a private forum).[i][/color]

interesting Blue Topaz! I like that! I wouldn't mind trying that at my age! but first I would have to have some alcohol to be more brave. hahaha
the thing is , even without dressing up we play roles, no?

about the actor thing, I think Anthony Hopkins is an HSP. just the way he plays his characters. He is not very big on interviews and stays rather private. I like that about him, too. I don't have more examples of his traits, it's just my feeling.
I like the characters he played in "remains of the day", "the world's fastest Indian",.... and other movies I cannot think of right now.
Trien
Trien

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:40 am

Yes, I think a lot of hsps are crowd phobic or private. But I'm wondering if that is more an introverted thing than an hsp thing. Extroverted hsps fascinate me. I think we might have some here on the board.

When you said private I thought of Stephen King. Is he perhaps another hsp? Which makes me wonder, are most artists hsps? The exquisite sensitivity allows us to see feel and hear things more "amplified" and therefore more able to translate the experience into various media... visual art, spoken word, prose, poetry...

So, Edgar Allen Poe, I think of him as perhaps an hsp. Does hsp have to equate to "tortured soul"? Or is that just an incidental co-relation.
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by tezorian Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 am

Heath ledger grabbed me, the first time i saw him. So yeah, i think he's an HSP.
Johnny depp must be as well. Difficult to really get into the why though... just a feeling.
tezorian
tezorian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:36 am

Val Kilmer...he's a published poet and all around interesting guy, and he just seems familiar.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueTopaz Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:43 am

Trien wrote:

interesting Blue Topaz! I like that! I wouldn't mind trying that at my age! but first I would have to have some alcohol to be more brave. hahaha
the thing is , even without dressing up we play roles, no?

THis is so true. Does being hsp make us better at it? And is that good for us in some way? Things like this, even if they seem or are ultimately negative, must have some benefit or they wouldn't continue to exist for us as a species?
BlueTopaz
BlueTopaz

Back to top Go down

Post by tezorian Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:55 pm

frmthhrt wrote:Val Kilmer...he's a published poet and all around interesting guy, and he just seems familiar.
lol, i thought he was related to heath actually...
tezorian
tezorian
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down