The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

putting text files into posts without doing gymnastics on the pooter

3 posters

Go down

putting text files into posts without doing gymnastics on the pooter Empty putting text files into posts without doing gymnastics on the pooter

Post by reb Sun May 25, 2008 4:10 pm

from time to time, i find articles i would like to share; i have an hp scanner; i been scanning these to jpg, then to photobucket. people have complained that they coont read the files-text too small.

so i scanned three pages to pdf. now i can't figure out how to 'translate these' to a post. anyone got an idea, or, better, know the 'path' i got to follow from 'scan' to 'post' to make this work? thanks a heap Smile
reb
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

putting text files into posts without doing gymnastics on the pooter Empty Re: putting text files into posts without doing gymnastics on the pooter

Post by Justin Passing Mon May 26, 2008 1:48 am

What you need to do is scan the article to some form of editable text. Most scanning software comes with some kind of OCR (Optical character recognition), and it will typically be used if you pick a word processor as the destination for the scan or something.

Once you have editable text, you can cut and paste the article into your forum post.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

putting text files into posts without doing gymnastics on the pooter Empty Re: putting text files into posts without doing gymnastics on the pooter

Post by reb Mon May 26, 2008 3:10 pm

Justin,

this hp gives me a choice of html, pdf and a couple of other 'pic' files....the dang pdf won't let me copy nothing....

i'll try the html, and see what happens...sometimes the silly thing won't let me pick anything but jpg...which is frustrating. i think the hp 'software' took over part of my mac sometimes....it knocked iphoto completely out of the picture business, and i couldn't put it back....

thanks!
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Fossy Mon May 26, 2008 3:21 pm

Reb when I first read this I had no clue what you meant by pooter. lol I thought you meant something else. I have a dirty mind.
Fossy
Fossy

http://www.myspace.com/freaklm

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 pm

ugh! scatological person, you!!!

lol!
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Fossy Mon May 26, 2008 5:36 pm

lol I don't know why it took me so long to get what you meant by that.
Fossy
Fossy

http://www.myspace.com/freaklm

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Tue May 27, 2008 12:22 am

reb wrote:Justin,

this hp gives me a choice of html, pdf and a couple of other 'pic' files....the dang pdf won't let me copy nothing....

i'll try the html, and see what happens...sometimes the silly thing won't let me pick anything but jpg...which is frustrating. i think the hp 'software' took over part of my mac sometimes....it knocked iphoto completely out of the picture business, and i couldn't put it back....

thanks!
reb
Sounds like HP may not have given you any OCR software Reb. And I hear you about their software. Once upon a time I used to love that company, but not anymore. Their software's a nightmare. Print drivers are ok (just ok), but the rest - ugh!

You can buy OCR software of course - and some of it's quite good - but the commercial packages are rather pricey & way fancier than you need. Try searching for OCR shareware or freeware on the net. There may be something out there that can "translate" jpg's into text for you. To get the best results, it's usually advisable to scan at a reasonable resolution (say 200 to 300 dpi) in grayscale or black & white, but the OCR software will tell you what it prefers.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Tue May 27, 2008 9:46 am

Justin, their photo program was messing up my photos...it messed with my computer (which is why the reload yesterday-i'm watching for signs that hp is becoming george bush again-hopefully, dick cheney and his shotgun are not programmed in, too!). when i reloaded the printer driver (of course, they bundle the whole mess-jackasses), i deleted all their photo programming. so far, so good...lol!

there's an ocr in there, but accessing the sob is a pita...i'm still looking. right now running on safari, a simple 'mac' bundle (deleted what i don't use). the scanner defaults to 200; if i can 'dig out' the hp ocr, then i maybe able to make it work; if not, i'll go looking for freeware or shareware...not interestedin paying big money for something i'm only going t ouse once in awhile lol! unless it's 'life saving' kinds of things...Smile

reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Wed May 28, 2008 12:04 am

Sounds good to me Reb. No reason you should have to shell out money for an occasional OCR job. And I know what you mean about them making the OCR hard to access - it's quite ridiculous they way they "embed" it. From what I've seen, 200 dpi should be plenty of resolution for OCR. Most OCR software doesn't want to deal with color however. It really prefers B&W, although simple 8 bit grayscale works fairly well too.

As for the HP software, I've started avoiding all software that comes with computer peripherals. Typically, first I see if the unit will work without installing anything (using OS default drivers in other words). If not, I go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers and install them. Sometimes I'm forced to install their "software", but for me that's a last resort. I don't know why that stuff causes so much trouble, but it sure can.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 pm

yep. i've been 'a victim' myself...lol!
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down