The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

managment by exception

4 posters

Go down

managment by exception Empty managment by exception

Post by reb Fri May 09, 2008 10:47 pm

this might be something y'all want to consider...these are from blackle search 'management by exception' if you want to do your own search-don';t know if they'll hot link. reb

naw, they dint...they just came glommed together...google or blackle for a more complete and sensible layout...

Management by Exception
Description of Management by Exception. Explanation and definition.
www.12manage.com/description_management_by_exception.html
A guide to management by exception; this managerial approach ...
A guide to management by exception; this managerial approach leaves routine decision making to the front-line supervisor from Medical Laboratory Observer in ...
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3230/is_v18/ai_4121195
management by exception Definition | Business Dictionaries from ...
Management by exception practices are established where it has been determined that only those events that deviate from a standard are significant. ...
www.allbusiness.com/glossaries/management-by-exception/4944378-1.html
Exception management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exception management is the practice of investigating, resolving and handling such occurrences either by using skilled staff or software tools. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exception_management
Scott Hanselman's Computer Zen - Good Exception Management Rules ...
Aug 30, 2006 ... I was coming up with Good Exception Management Rules of Thumb for .NET. Here's what my brainstorming came up with. ...
www.hanselman.com/blog/GoodExceptionManagementRulesOfThumb.aspx
Management by Exception: A Decision Process.
The report reviews the history and background of the management by exception concept. The concept is a valid tool in management and is often neglected by ...
stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA028943
rules-based management by exception
management by exception - Data-Basics is a leading provier of software to the service, construction and facilities maintenance industries, including its ...
www.databasics.com/sam-pro/automation/rules-based.html
EBSCOhost Connection: Management by exception.
Industrial Management: Focuses on management by exception. Relation to success in industrial management; Need for managers to formulate a good plan of ...
connection.ebscohost.com/content/article/1021022354.html;jsessionid=344FA4B863F3ACD6349B93CD3B8F1785.ehctc1
Management by Exception for the Army Battalion.
The basic question is whether management by exception, using management science techniques can be feasibly employed at Army battalion level to improve the ...
stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=AD0764413
[PDF]
To Intervene or not to Intervene: The Dilemma of Management by ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Management by exception turns out to trap human controllers in a double bind, where .... management by exception remained: a greater supervisory ...
csel.eng.ohio-state.edu/woods/papers/dekker_woods99.pdf
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

managment by exception Empty Re: managment by exception

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 09, 2008 11:15 pm

OK, I need to extrapolate. Reb and I discussed this idea last night. Basically, when applied to group dynamics, like forums, it says that leadership only interferes when things start to get out of control, and then only as lightly as possible.

For example, problems start between 2 people and seems to be getting worse, or spreading. Moderators could at first talk to the parties privately to try to resolve this. If that doesn't work, then isolate it from spreading by temporarily freezing a thread and having the members vote on a solution after laying out the problem and some possible solutions.

But, if at all possible, do nothing and let the problem resolve itself. Only jump in when it is clear that it will not but only worsen. It is a light touch for interpersonal problems. What do you think?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by adain Fri May 09, 2008 11:57 pm

It's a nice concept. I can see it working. It's the type of community that it would work very well in. Best of all it's not heavy handed...
adain
adain

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Sat May 10, 2008 11:37 pm

management by exception is also typically difficult for certain personality types...control freaks have fits trying to do it. i have had about three or four really good bosses in my life; they all 'managed by exception'. commonly studied technique, like a friend was telling me about 'bottom line accounting' at the harvard business school the other day, it is studied, but not well applied....lol! sad for people who have to work for micromanaging idiots....mostly theory x types.....'the five minute manager' is a good example of good management, too. one might glean some ideas from it....

reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Mon May 19, 2008 6:44 am

I looked at the links but still don't completely understand it... 'Do nothing unless something is really out of line?'

I liked the 5-minute-manager books... They were recommended to me for teaching Wink & there is a lot of common sense in that approach...

Where I would see the 2 approaches differ is that the 5 minute manager gives both criticism & praise, & the 'exception' thing seems to intervene only if things go badly wrong, in which case it might lead to negative reinforcement (?) - or is it about consequences only? some positive reinforcement/s inbetween might be helpful too... (?)

I like the idea of 'don't fret the details/smaller stuff'... & 'let people deal with it themselves at first'... Sometimes, or most often, PMing people if they're okay with something & what response they wish from mods/admins might be in place...

I'm not sure if it's in the 5-min. manager books or somewhere else, but the general idea to go from 'more structured to less structured' seemed helpful to me when I read about it...
For example, have more rules & oversight over things in the beginning, & then loosen up a bit as things get well their own way (& when you see people can generally be trusted with a more 'loose' approach & handle the responsibility & things delegated to them well)... If you just delegate & 'let it be' too much to people not used of such things at the beginning already, without providing a structure or oversight, things can get out of hand...

That is why I prefer the idea of a board with more rules (& then making some exceptions/space for general 'slips') rather than a board that says 'All is allowed' & then reacts unpredictably to some things that weren't even discussed at first...

Anyway, I think I'd need to read more about this 'management by exception' to fully understand it...
This seems helpful: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3230/is_v18/ai_4121195
It says to do it in combination with other styles of management... (& different levels of delegated responsibility!)

"Here are five ways to avoid the pitfalls:

1. Combine MBE with MBWA (management by walking around). Management by exception does not mean sitting in an office waiting for big problems to walk in. With MBE in place, it is more imperative than ever to be where the action is, to know what's going on. A caveat: Staff members must view the wanderer as a resource person and helper, not a nitpicker looking over their shoulders for something to criticize.

2. Clarify the level of authority for each newly delegated responsibility. Level A might be, "Do it. You don't have to tell anyone.' Level B, "Do it. Then let me know about it.' Level C, "Do it only after checking with me.'

Remember, though, that the level of authority may have to change to meet new circumstances. For example, fiscal constraints could affect how much latitude supervisors have in granting overtime.

3. Make sure lower-level managers are comfortable with their expanded authority. Review policies, practices, and procedures. They must help rather than hinder these managers.

4. Enlarge the definition of "exceptions' to include favorable variances that should be reported to higher management. Show interest in behavior and results that exceed expectations.

Seek a high ratio of praise to criticism. We have built up praise by asking supervisors at weekly staff meetings to report on anything noteworthy that they or their employees have done.

5. Use coaching and guidelines to encourage those who have received new authority. Higher management should show patience when they goof and express appreciation for their successes."
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Mon May 19, 2008 8:16 am

SB,

yeah, they do differ in theory somewhat...i find management by exception to be more like my life philosophy 'let 'it' be what it is wherever possible'....the 5 minute manager is more proactive (messes with details). if one is a manager of anything, one has to develo9p their own 'style'. whatever works is a 'lifemotto' for me.

now, to the 5 items-hope this is not 'angst producing'....having seen lots of 'french style' managers, i have some pretty harsh ideas of many management styles...

1. Combine MBE with MBWA (management by walking around). Management by exception does not mean sitting in an office waiting for big problems to walk in. With MBE in place, it is more imperative than ever to be where the action is, to know what's going on. A caveat: Staff members must view the wanderer as a resource person and helper, not a nitpicker looking over their shoulders for something to criticize.

CAPS TO SHOW MY COMMENTS (TOO LAZY AND NON TECHNICAL TO DO OTHERWISE THIS AM)...EVERY PRACTICIONER OF MBWA I HAVE SEEN IS A LAZY JERK WITH A COFFEE CUP, WHO DINT CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING TO THE STAFF...MOSTLY DRONES, WHICH SHOULD BE DEALT WITH AS SUCH.

2. Clarify the level of authority for each newly delegated responsibility. Level A might be, "Do it. You don't have to tell anyone.' Level B, "Do it. Then let me know about it.' Level C, "Do it only after checking with me.'

Remember, though, that the level of authority may have to change to meet new circumstances. For example, fiscal constraints could affect how much latitude supervisors have in granting overtime.

DETAILS...CRAWLING INTO THAT MICROMANAGER AREA....ANTITHESIS OF THE FORWARD THINKING MANAGEMENT STYLE (IMO-MAYBE I'M BACKWARD THINKING-WHAT'S FORWARD AND BACKWARD...H I DUNNO)

3. Make sure lower-level managers are comfortable with their expanded authority. Review policies, practices, and procedures. They must help rather than hinder these managers.

IF LOWER LEVEL MANAGERS ARE NOT COMFORTABLE, THEN REDUCE THEIR PAYGRADE UNTIL THEY BECOME COMFORTABLE. THOSE WHO ARE CAPABLE OF DEALING WITH STRESS SHOULD BE MANAGERS; THOSE WHO ARE NOT SHOULD BE DROPPED UNTIL THEY CAN 'DEAL WITH IT'

4. Enlarge the definition of "exceptions' to include favorable variances that should be reported to higher management. Show interest in behavior and results that exceed expectations.

Seek a high ratio of praise to criticism. We have built up praise by asking supervisors at weekly staff meetings to report on anything noteworthy that they or their employees have done.

THIS DEPENDS ON YOUR WORKFORCE...IF YOU BELIEVE THAT '80% OF WHAT A CHILD LEARNS IS CONCRETE IN THE FIRST 5 YEARS', THEN WHAT YOU HIRE IS WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DEAL WITH; YOU'RE RARELY GOING TO CHANGE A PERSON; YOU HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO BRING OUT THEIR BEST....SOMETIMES 'POSTIVE REINFORCEMNT' IS AN ILLUSION YOU ARE DEALING WITH, AND BECOMES YOUR PROBLEM, NOT 'THEIRS'....ONE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THE WHOLE SCALE OF THE PIANO, ALONG WITH NOTES NOT ON THE KEYBOARD...

5. Use coaching and guidelines to encourage those who have received new authority. Higher management should show patience when they goof and express appreciation for their successes."

ALL I CAN SAY TO THIS IS 'LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE H OUT OF THE WAY'...IF SOMEONE IS NOT SUITED (THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE 'CONDITIONAL PROMOTIONS') THEN PUT THEM BACK TO WHERE THEY ARE....

what i am saying above is how i tried ot run my negotiation team; was it stressful....lol! ya gotta be sing me....lol! was it successful? more often than not. did some people think i was an anus? yeah...f em. do people still practice what i preached? one of my articles is part of the suggested reading in the air force's contract management course. i did what i did; it will have to speak for itself....good theory discussion. thanks for seeing 'in depth' SB Smile ((((hugs)))))
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Mon May 19, 2008 9:09 am

Hm. you may be right.

I'm not sure how 'changeable' people are either, but at least I'm usually willing to give them another chance... (or a few..) if they decide to do things better... Especially if they understand what they did wrong & how to improve things in the future... (I usually try to analyze things & find these out for myself...)

I was not speaking about doing solely 'the walking around' stuff - I can see how this can become unproductive... But the article seemed to make sense in combining the two (& perhaps other) styles a bit... If all you do is interact about the bad stuff, it can get bad...

I've never really been a manager, though teaching kinda comes close sometimes... & I don't claim to ever have been a really great teacher either, except maybe some of the time with small groups in a private setting... & my managerial skills weren't that great then either... Mostly still learning... If I ever do any more, I'll certainly need to learn & do some things better... So it was interesting to read a bit about these things...

I think that with 'ideal team' (if you do get such candidates) you wouldn't need to do the levels of responsibility or coaching or such... BUT if you have a class of kids you had no way of choosing, or a forum of random people you had no way of pre-approving (?) some of what I posted from the article may be helpful... /Understand where I'm looking at this from?/ Some kids (or classes) can be trusted with almost anything - and sme need micromanagement, at least from the beginning... (or they will do nothing, or mischief, or both)

A manager who pays his staff can afford 'choosing the best' - a teacher or forum admin can't always... & I thought we were discussing this in application to forum policies... (?)

And if you believe '80% OF WHAT A CHILD LEARNS IS CONCRETE IN THE FIRST 5 YEARS', what the lol are you doing in the teaching biz? Wink lol /See what I mean? Wink)

Also, I think I've written of it elsewhere - some relatives have a biz. The son of the father who ran things wanted to fire a worker after he made a mistake. 'No,' his dad said to him. 'If you fire everyone straight away if they do a mistake, you're gonna lose a potentially good worker. He now knows he mustn't do this, & how to do things better. If you just fire him & get a new one, you'll never have really experienced workers who do things well...' Something kinda like this...

I agree about having a whole scale on the piano, yeah... You can't just have praise & praise is a tricky thing too & must be done well, specific & where it applies, if at all...
Positive reinforcement does work, in some cases, but sometimes it is not appropriate... (& yup, sometimes it may misfire, especially if not done right... or if the wrong words/actions are used or so...)

reb wrote:5. Use coaching and guidelines to encourage those who have received new authority. Higher management should show patience when they goof and express appreciation for their successes."
ALL I CAN SAY TO THIS IS 'LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE H OUT OF THE WAY'...IF SOMEONE IS NOT SUITED (THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE 'CONDITIONAL PROMOTIONS') THEN PUT THEM BACK TO WHERE THEY ARE.....
There seem to be many different styles of leadership too - some include coaching, if I understand it right...

what i am saying above is how i tried ot run my negotiation team; was it stressful....lol! ya gotta be sing me....lol! was it successful? more often than not. did some people think i was an anus? yeah...f em. do people still practice what i preached? one of my articles is part of the suggested reading in the air force's contract management course.
It is definitely interesting to read about your experiences!!
Also, you mean you wrote articles on this that are used in air force (in which case, WoW!) - or just used the same sources?

PS Just because something is still used (in a rather conservative setting such as military Wink ) it doesn't mean it's 100% gold - or that it works in all settings... Wink (it can be, I just know too little about the modern theories or management in general to be able to fully comment or make a really informed stance)

PPS I love discussing things in-depth too!! Smile So thanks for bringing this up!
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Mon May 19, 2008 4:01 pm

SB,

you're welcome.

there is no 'gold'. ever heard bob dylan's song 'ya gotta serve somebody'? it is, in my experience, true...there is no one who dont' serve someone....everyone answers to some authority (sometimes on a long time scale, but, that's another thread lol!).

you got to understand, what i wrote that the air force is using is about 'contract management', which is a hole nother deal than human resources. the military views almost all their human resources as expendable. if you think about it, the corporate world has now reached that point as well (child labor, chemical exposure, low wages, harsh conditions, harsh treatment, etc at nauseum)....you gotta be 'in the club', and even then, they'll cut yer throat if they think you're a liability. the 'system' is so goal oriented now, you have to be 'great in your niche' to have any protection, and you have to think of #1, which is counter to the way many of us here think (i think). i can tell you this, though, and you can take it to the bank (so to speak, i woudn't take anything valuable to the bank nowadays).....if you think that you're going to be 'nice and sweet' and manage a large or even small group of people, you are going to get an awakening....if you don't have a goal, and you don't orient your 'people management skills' towards that goal, and are not willing to 'drop one here and there' if they show they don't care about the goal, then you are not going to reach your goal....you are like a ship without a rudder. it doesn't pay to 'fire' someone on their first offense, but, like you, i used to overlook a lot; it turned out to be a waste of my time to do so. it pays to be 'tolerant' if you can, but kknow when to drop the hammer on something....and each situation is 'an opinion', and you know what opinions are like....dontcha? lol! it all comes down to goals; without a clear concise idea of whereyou want to go, you are drifting...and maybe that's ok, but i do mine in the hammock, and don't have to mess with it, as i have reached a goal. the next one is to get my tombstone inscribed....it's fun to be 'goalless' lol!

but, to address 'the perfect team', there is no perfect team. there are people who have certain goals in mind, and, if you get them on your team, you are lucky, if your goals mesh. if you have 50% 'no goal synthesis' and 50% 'goal synthesis', then you are very, very lucky. in any situation i have been in, you take the resources you have, you steal what you can, you act like you can run over godzilla, and you move forward. if you lay about and listen to bs like 'well, this doesn't address my issues.' from the peanut gallery/aka straphangers, then you get nowhere...if someone stubs their toe, you move forward as well as you can with them limping; a high performing team will grab the limper and drag them along. a lot of teams that i saw (and one i was forced onto), you have more limpers than draggers....i'm thinking specifically of one i had for a project in night school. we studied international harvester, and how they fell apart....we had an air force captain, and an army major and me. the air force captain dropped the course in 2 weeks ( a quarter semester deal, so we dint have time to cry over it). two weeks later, the major says to me, 'the general has ordered me to do xxxxxx, and i don't have time to contribute to the research.' so, guess what? want a grade, get a grade....i did the research, i did interviews with ex-employees and managers....two shoe boxes full of index cards with quotes and source info; wrote the paper. the major then critiqued the paper with his red pen (all of a sudden, he had time??? lol!)-30 pages, red all over....i let him have his way, and then, when i did the charts and overheads, oriented it towards what i wanted. we 'co-presented it'. we got an a. what torqued me good was he got an a for the overall course, and i got a b...he had two more answers right on a multiple choice quiz than i did.

later, at work, he came and yelled at me over some work project (we were in the same division). i stood up, and asked him to go around the corner with me...he kept yelling, and i walked away...he followed. when we got where people couldn't hear us, i told him 'i know how you did that paper on management of finances, major xxx. i know you like to lay back, and let others do the work and then you come up to take the credit. don't stand there and yell at me, especially in public in front of my coworkers, unless you want to meet me at the gym in the boxing ring.' we were about the same size. but i was starting to get angry, and he was more hot air. he left, mad....dint speak to me again for along time...lol!

one can flummox, wallow and chaw all around these theories. there are all kinds of people with all kinds of ideas....the bottom line is 'does it work?'; if it doesn't work, it's excrement. throw it out-sooner is better. lead, follow, or get the h out of the way. if it works, write a book. lol! and someone will plagiarize it....Smile

anyway, i have gone way over my word quotient on this forum today...i got to do something productive...like recharge my batteries in the hammock so i can work with the 2" pipe i bought at tractor supply today when it cools down a little OoO! Smile

go get 'em, SB Smile you are 'me' 30 years ago; get more done than i got done-i'm cheerin' ya on!

reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum