The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting discussion on chemical reaction in brain link with connections

3 posters

Go down

Interesting discussion on chemical reaction in brain link with connections Empty Interesting discussion on chemical reaction in brain link with connections

Post by mtngrl123 Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:01 pm

mtngrl123

Back to top Go down

Interesting discussion on chemical reaction in brain link with connections Empty Re: Interesting discussion on chemical reaction in brain link with connections

Post by mtngrl123 Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:15 pm

mtngrl123

Back to top Go down

Interesting discussion on chemical reaction in brain link with connections Empty Re: Interesting discussion on chemical reaction in brain link with connections

Post by melodiccolor Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:25 pm

Mtngrl and I were talking in chat about this. Some initial thoughts; he defines morality as the ability to feel another's pain when they feel it and another's joy when they do; an unusual definition of it. Compassion and empathy might be a better word. I am still not sure that includes the empathic ability to read, as that is part of a larger whole of abilities that have to do more with alot of areas besides connection.

He advocates touch and hugging as important producers of oxicoton, and thus connection and bonding. But in families where there are not alot of touch, there can often be other ways connection is shown and it works too. Touch is an important way, just not the only one.

Here's another interesting point; connecting through social media also increases oxycotin levels. So our chats where we connect more deeply is actually giving us a chemical high too.

Since empaths connect more deeply on average, we likely have higher levels of oxycotin. That also ties in with our increased levels of compassion too.

It is also interesting to note that stress decreases the levels and thus levels of connection, trust and compassion too.

Note, oxycotin is not oxycodone, the pain killer which is so addictive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxycodone

I found this interesting bit in the Oxytocin link:

Oxytocin has peripheral (hormonal) actions, and also has actions in the brain. The actions of oxytocin are mediated by specific, high-affinity oxytocin receptors. The oxytocin receptor is a G-protein-coupled receptor that requires Mg2+ and cholesterol. It belongs to the rhodopsin-type (class I) group of G-protein-coupled receptors.

Does this mean lower cholesterol levels inhibit the uptake of oxyticon in the brain? I wonder about many of our loathing to take statins and other cholesteral lowering drugs intuitively.

I still maintain that connection is more than just about neuroreptors and peptides like oxycotin. But....having a physical reinforcer is powerful
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RBM Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:00 pm

melodiccolor wrote:I still maintain that connection is more than just about neuroreptors and peptides like oxycotin. But....having a physical reinforcer is powerful

I agree with your point.

This is known as an easy problem of consciousness:

... with so-called easy problems, such as explaining how the brain integrates information, categorizes and discriminates environmental stimuli, or focuses attention. Such phenomena are functionally definable. That is, roughly put, they are definable in terms of what they allow a subject to do. So, for example, if mechanisms that explain how the brain integrates information are discovered, then the first of the easy problems listed would be solved. The same point applies to all other easy problems: they concern specifying mechanisms that explain how functions are performed. For the easy problems, once the relevant mechanisms are well understood, there is little or no explanatory work left to do.

The above excerpt is contrasted to the hard problem of consciousness:

The hard problem of consciousness (Chalmers 1995) is the problem of explaining the relationship between physical phenomena, such as brain processes, and experience (i.e., phenomenal consciousness, or mental states/events with phenomenal qualities or qualia). Why are physical processes ever accompanied by experience? And why does a given physical process generate the specific experience it does—why an experience of red rather than green, for example?

There's lots of discovery awaiting in even the 'easy' category, I suspect. Glad to here someone is gathering up the pieces of the puzzle, regardless of whether they now what the puzzle is or not ;-)
RBM
RBM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down