The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Three Risk-Free, High-Yield Investments by Elain Aron

2 posters

Go down

Three Risk-Free, High-Yield Investments by Elain Aron Empty Three Risk-Free, High-Yield Investments by Elain Aron

Post by melodiccolor Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:49 pm

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/attending-the-undervalued-self/201110/three-risk-free-high-yield-investments

Printed in Psychology Today:

Blogs
Attending to the Undervalued Self
A fresh approach to those times when you doubt your own worth
by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Three Risk-Free, High-Yield Investments
Get in now; these pay even in terrible times.
Published on October 25, 2011 by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D. in Attending to the Undervalued Self

In these uncertain times everyone wants a safe place to invest their time and energy—and money if they have any. Ideally an investment is not only safe, but grows in value, as when you invest in your own education or in a growing company. Still, we want safety first, because these days we have that lurking fear of a global economic meltdown or even some end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it scenario. People say gold is the best thing for those situations. But is it? I always imagine that the first time I go out and try to buy something with gold, someone's going to follow me home and rob me. So do I invest in gold and a gun? Not me.

Here is the first of my three foolproof investments for any future scenario: Depth Psychology. "Soul work." Learning from your dreams. Knowing your complexes and your shadow. Wisdom is a resource that no one can take from you and it only appreciates.

Your dreams will tell you the "rest of the story," information you need for making the best life decisions. Knowing about your complexes keeps you from doing really dumb things and alienating people. Consider your undervalued self as an example of a complex. If you get caught up in this one you will underestimate your worth, fail to try things that in fact you could do well, and fail to make friends with the people you would most like to know because you think they don't want to know you. If you know your shadow, you will build real character, real integrity, because you will know about the evil you are capable of doing. What could be of more value than being able to go to sleep at night knowing you are living a life with as much integrity as possible.

Economic meltdown? End of the world? You will speak and behave in ways that draw others to you. They will want to support you because they experience you as a valuable person to have around.

Second investment: Meditation. Any spiritual belief or practice will be useful in bad times. Prayer, contemplation, yoga, good works—all excellent, but you want to get your nervous system used to going to its most settled state by going there daily and gradually changing how your whole brain operates. Meditation methods differ so do your homework. I prefer Transcendental Meditation. It gives immediate experiences of the deepest possible state, and when you look into the theory behind it, it makes sense. You invest a little money to learn, but you never have to pay again or donate to receive whatever help you may need with it for the rest of your life. Twenty minutes twice a day is a significant investment in time, but if you are doing it right you will look forward to doing it. It's pure rest. Great for your health. It clears your mind, making you more efficient. Best of all, the effects accumulate, especially after a few retreats to get the ball rolling. Yes, Virginia, there really are higher states of consciousness (yup, enlightenment). In more down-to-earth terms, I have been meditating for 40 years. I've grown older, but I have also noticed large gains in what some people would call youthfulness: Greater energy, productivity, and just plain bliss. Everyone who has stuck with it reports the same benefits.

Economic meltdown? End of the world? No one can steal my nervous system, and even if it takes a hit from stress, I will handle it with more equanimity than those who have not invested this way.

Third investment: Love. Your close relationships. These require the greatest investment of time, energy, skill and focused attention. There can be suffering along the way and loss at the end. So you need more than one close other in your life. But what a payoff, every day, in every way. Loneliness will kill you, slowly but surely. End of the world? Would you rather face it alone or with someone you love? Some people who jumped from the inferno of the World Trade Center on 9/11 did it holding hands. Imagine: Holding hands or not holding hands. Funny, but it makes a gigantic difference, doesn't it?

I really agree with what she says; getting yourself centered, believing in your own self worth, loving yourself and others are always good things that can help you deal with crisises. Basically you become more connected to yourself, your intuition and empathic abilities, to others. They are drawn to you and you to they. You become open to opportunities you might have discounted or not seen due to inner fears and turmoils. Doors open. These are all good things to have regardless of troubled times or not.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Three Risk-Free, High-Yield Investments by Elain Aron Empty Re: Three Risk-Free, High-Yield Investments by Elain Aron

Post by Trien Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:30 pm

same here, totally agree with Elaine.
yes, we are aware of what is going around us in terms of serious problems that affect mankind....., but it is important not to let it 'ferment' inside of you.
by centering yourself, yes.... will keep you from letting the those worries 'reside' in you.

Trien
Trien

Back to top Go down