The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traditional camera film makes a come back

+2
Grace
frmthhrt
6 posters

Go down

Traditional camera film makes a come back  Empty Traditional camera film makes a come back

Post by frmthhrt Sun May 22, 2011 12:31 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8525839/Traditional-camera-film-makes-a-come-back.html

Extra Happy freakout freakout
...I never stopped shooting film, since I do have 200 film cameras mrgreen ...and I don't plan to stop any time soon either. Oil painting never went away when film arrived, despite predictions of it's demise, and there will always be something magical about the process of exposing and developing film. One important thing for me when shooting film is the slower, more thoughtful approach to picture taking. I am more inclined to to take the time to make worthwhile pictures when I only have 15 or 24 or 36 shots per roll, rather than 600 on a card. Sure, the sheer volume of digital shots gets you some great pictures; but for sheer enjoyment factor (and well planned shots) I am happier when I am using film...
Don't get me wrong- I can slow down and enjoy my digital camera, and I can plan my shots- but I don't have the automatic mindset, and I also miss the great optical viewfinders of my film cameras. So I find that I have a place for both: for general snapshots, digital works perfectly for me, but I only print a small percentage of the results; but when I feel creative, I always reach for film. As an "advanced amateur" I have the luxury of using film. Quite a few pros that I know tell me that although all of their pro work is digital, they still enjoy getting out with their old film cameras- especially to shoot black and white. Satisfying nostalgia can be a very rewarding pastime, and the nostalgia continues on with the younger generation.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Traditional camera film makes a come back  Empty Re: Traditional camera film makes a come back

Post by Grace Sun May 22, 2011 12:33 pm

I so agree Smile And only film can get true b&w... my favorite Smile

Grace
Grace

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1184773865

Back to top Go down

Traditional camera film makes a come back  Empty Re: Traditional camera film makes a come back

Post by OutdoorWhale Sun May 22, 2011 12:51 pm

Not really.

This article is talking about younger people. This is, more than likely, the same crowd that started the; return of the Vinyl record, old game systems(NES), vintage/thrift store clothing, 99c Plastic Sunglasses, those low sitting cheaply made yet expensive tennis shoes, Facebook/Myspace, and god know what else.

Once it becomes full blown trendy, they'll find something else but leave the inflated prices. Going to be hard though trying to take drunken pictures while in a bar half wasted with film based cameras. They are going to need that 400+ shots for the one that is in focus. Hope Scanners are trendy enough for them....
OutdoorWhale

Back to top Go down

Post by frmthhrt Sun May 22, 2011 5:47 pm

The article mentions the younger people, but it would be wrong to assume that they are the only ones driving this trend. I own, moderate, or belong to quite a few film camera groups (ummm...hundreds- and a couple digital) , so I do see who these people are. There is a broad cross section of society represented. The same goes for the vinyl record sales and turntable sales. It is not all young people. Many people of my age group are out there in the used record stores, chasing down those prized albums of our youth. I don't believe it is just "trendy". Some of us are really attached to these older formats, and will be until we die. Once the novelty of the latest and greatest wears off, many of us realise that we were perfectly happy with our old format, regret the error of our ways in abandoning them, and return to what we originally loved. Why do you think men love muscle cars and 50's cars, when the new ones are quicker and better? Nostalgia lives on. Vintage thrift store clothing has been bought by all age groups for quite a while, but it's just that a certain 'trendy" group has finally discovered it. My aunts are much older than me, and they have been buying it (and one now owns a chain of stores selling it) for decades...
BTW, I can buy 1600 or 3200ISO film, and take perfect shots in that dark bar...and they will be better than anything that a cellphone camera or compact digital will ever produce! But these barflies are not the people that are buying film to start with. It's the artistic crowd...more likely to be found at a poetry reading, or maybe at a live theater show...not the ones that I would call trendy. LOL.
frmthhrt
frmthhrt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Mon May 23, 2011 6:17 am

I agree, there will always be people who prefer films over digital. I learned shooting film and still use it sometime. But I have to admit that I do love my digitals and I do use them almost exclusively for the business.

Although I still shoot the same way with the digitals. The practice of getting the photograph with a limited number of shots due to learning with film was a habit that never left me. So much so that other photographers I have worked with comment on it sometimes. I just can't take dozens of shots of the same picture when I can get it in a few and move on to the next shot.
Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nucky Mon May 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Twenty years ago photographers would have laughed at the need for some people to take dozens of pictures to get it right. Eventually there will be a camera that takes good shots by itself, with no effort or talent needed. If we take modern technology for granted too much, it may end up turning us into morons.
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reamsie Wed May 25, 2011 7:04 am

there are cameras that take shots by themselves if you count traffic and some types of security cameras, oh and those photo booths. It is rudimentary and probably not what you where referring to, but they are working on the technology.

We have computers out there that can replicate paintings or sing, but the technology is in it's infancy, but I don't there is a danger that I need to find a new line of work because there are things that computers will never have like the human eye or the emotion needed to create.

A camera is a TOOL like a hammer or an oven. You can own the most expensive Hasselblad (excess of $40,000.00) and if you don't know how to use it or don't have any an eye for photography then it might as well just be a big expensive black brick.

Hasselblad!

Reamsie
Reamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangerex Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:20 am

I completely agree! I tried to make the transition to digital this year. Everytime I went out to use it, I couldn't stop myself from bringing my film camera along aaand ended up using it instead. Film cameras just make more sense somehow. I like the mystery of waiting to find out what you end up with, and the confidence required to take The shot. Plus, there is nothing like realy B&W! Although, processing is a B and takes forever cause I'm cheap and forgetful. Someday a dark room of my own!! : Very Happy
Dangerex
Dangerex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down