The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Host requirement ideas

+4
melodiccolor
StrawberryLife
reb
Justin Passing
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Host requirement ideas - Page 2 Empty Re: Host requirement ideas

Post by melodiccolor Mon May 05, 2008 6:15 pm

BlueTopaz wrote:Here is something I found on my forum that you might be able to use. There are a bunch of other tools available I think. There is a link to the home page on top I do believe.

http://hosting-metrics.network-tools.com/

Thanks Blue, this will be useful. Justin, take a look.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Mon May 05, 2008 9:28 pm

Thanks Blue. I will take a look, but not today. Today I'm way too negative.

And Reb - I think waiting for Godot is a fine thing. It makes as much sense as most of the things I've done in my life, and is far less disappointing. After all, what else is there to do? We can all write our own versions of Anna Karenina while we're waiting or something.
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Mon May 05, 2008 10:40 pm

INFP,

ooops! 80 to 90...duh to me! nostalgia! pride, new year's day, with or without you, i still haven't found what i'm looking for; i like a lot of these 'best of' albums

melodi, waiting for godot is a classic; it was meant as existential commentary on human existence...you should be flattered to be graced with th e comparison! lol! (smirk)

Justin, anna karenina....can i just write something more country....i never liked reading tolstoy although the julie christie movie was decent....Smile tolstoy always gives me the feeling of 'mold growning on bread' or something.....hemingway, steinbeck, john sandford, robert ruark, tom brown, these are more my taste....
reb
reb

Location : next to the women on this board so they know where i'm at

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue May 06, 2008 12:48 am

I think those fall under the category of "or something..." Ok, then, write the great american novel. There's evidentally plenty of time; isn't time all an illusion anyway?

Now that I've made all you philophically oriented happy, I will answer my own rhetorical question. Time is not an illusion; but it is not linear either. So speaks the pychic physicist in me... Laughing mrgreen

(hey, I snuck string theory into this forum...)
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by StrawberryLife Tue May 06, 2008 6:23 pm

String theory *AND* Tolstoy in one topic - the one on host requirement, lol!! Smile

Now that's what I call 'lack of focus'!! Smile lol

Must check other threads to see if I can comment intelligently (though it's really late & it's probably off to bed with me...) I haven't been much online lately, unfriendly takeovers of the PC! (Sis hopefully finishing her thesis!)

Anyway, I like the idea of things being gradually implemented as they can be... (They can always be changed back later if (good) people rebel for a good reason with valid arguments! no?)
The idea of keeping track of changes is great...

Also, I think it could be taken as 'people who started this' (ie all of us here, & especially mods/admins) are the 'startup/editorial team' somewhat & basically coming together with it all... New people from now on are most welcome & can join in if they like, & if they have good suggestions & good arguments for those, great, we'll all be happy to accept them, & mainly... the 'original team' has the main say... What do you guys think?
It would be truly great to have a truly 'democratic' forum, but even the 'original fathers' wrote a constitution & others had to follow all that jazz somewhat..
Magazines have an 'editorial team' too, not all people who read or write into them get to talk what the layout would be like etc. Many don't really wanna anyway, they just wanna read & have fun on the forums... At least that is what I assume... (?)

Personally, I don't really 'need' customizable skins... I usually opted for the most 'ordinary-looking'/familiar one anyway! lol
They may be nice if they are good, but not a life necessity... Especially if the original skin is good & easy to read... (& easy on the eyes!)
It would be sweet to have pics & names of posters on the left, if it's doable, but I'm slowly getting used to it... (Is this an 'Arabic' option? Smile)

For me, being able to communicate freely is the most important thing... (I don't even need 'free' cuss-words, sometimes it's even fun if they are *****ed out... - Leaves room for imagination!! Very Happy heh I especially liked one forum where you couldn't even write or have a 'cocktail' lol!! Very Happy - Was that the AIMOO? Smile)
Backup is really nice too... Though I've recently become a bit more 'zen' about it all.. Apparently the Universe's way to not get too attached to things, or spaces, even if they are offline/don't really exist...

Other than that, it would be good to have a forum that is easy for the moderators & admins to handle Smile
StrawberryLife
StrawberryLife

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue May 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Also, I think it could be taken as 'people who started this' (ie all of us here, & especially mods/admins) are the 'startup/editorial team' somewhat & basically coming together with it all... New people from now on are most welcome & can join in if they like, & if they have good suggestions & good arguments for those, great, we'll all be happy to accept them, & mainly... the 'original team' has the main say... What do you guys think?
It would be truly great to have a truly 'democratic' forum, but even the 'original fathers' wrote a constitution & others had to follow all that jazz somewhat..
Magazines have an 'editorial team' too, not all people who read or write into them get to talk what the layout would be like etc. Many don't really wanna anyway, they just wanna read & have fun on the forums... At least that is what I assume... (?)

I guess I needed to spell that out. You said it perfectly. But our startup team really does need to come up with a constitution of some kind; it's another project listed in the update. The start up phase is still ongoing and anyone here is on the start up team if they want to be. But, once the forum is fully up and running, things do change.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivershine Tue May 06, 2008 10:19 pm

INFP, i'm listening to the 'best of u2-70-80' pretty dam good album. guess i won't take it to donate to the library Smile no pictures of crotch puppy on it, though...

ooops! 80 to 90...duh to me! nostalgia! pride, new year's day, with or without you, i still haven't found what i'm looking for; i like a lot of these 'best of' albums

Crotch puppy! LOL! lol!

Looks like you're listening to some fine selections from War, unforgettable fire, Joshua Tree...yep. You're listening to some good stuff there. thumbsup mrgreen
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Tue May 06, 2008 11:00 pm

thomas jefferson was the drafter of the original Declaration of Independence; the Constitution document took more years than elephant gestation, and was accompanied by far, far more noise and angst....i am honored to follow in the 'penstrokes', even on so small a scale....i'll go start a thread with a beginning....
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Tue May 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Cool I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I need to work on my own ideas too.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Thu May 22, 2008 11:37 pm

Based on what was stated earlier in this thread, I have generated a check list for us to use in searching for possible hosts that will meet our needs. I am asking anyone willing to do so to join in on the search. It would be much appreciated.

Checklist of things to look for in a host:

-the ability to pick our own features and add-ons, the option to configure things as we want them.

-full access to all files associated with our forum; both data and configuration

-the ability to fully copy and update the board’s data and configuration files without shutting the board down.

-the history of reliability of a server

-Is the host a reseller or do they own their own equipment?

-available technical support staff

-the ability to add other features such as web sites that may be hosted elsewhere and linked to the host (under our control of course)

Affordable costs on a sliding scale; they start small when we’re small and grow as our needs grow.

-the ability to purchase a domain name for a reasonable fee (not necessarily from the host)

Possible research places:

http://hosting-metrics.network-tools.com/

Hostgator as a possible host

Google review sites for webhosts and uptime, etc.

Last edited by melodiccolor on Sat May 24, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan (Earthmaiden) Fri May 23, 2008 12:19 am

Affordable costs on a sliding scale; they start small when we’re small and grow as our needs grow.

-the ability to purchase a domain name for a reasonable fee (not necessarily from the host)

Who's going to be paying for these "costs"?
Logan (Earthmaiden)

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Passing Fri May 23, 2008 12:27 am

Logan wrote:

Who's going to be paying for these "costs"?
Whoever wants to of course. Who else would?
Justin Passing
Justin Passing
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 23, 2008 12:29 am

The old aimoo hsp site was a paid site as well. It ran on donations. I'm hoping the cost for a small forum like ours will be nominal at first. That is one of the things research needs to find out.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan (Earthmaiden) Fri May 23, 2008 12:30 am

Well has anyone bothered to take a poll to see who is willing or are we going to find a host that costs money, fall in love with it and then find out no one is willing to pay for it?
Logan (Earthmaiden)

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Fri May 23, 2008 8:26 am

lol! everybody knows who is willing; everybody knows who is able....the question is 'who is?' Smile
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Fri May 23, 2008 3:00 pm

First we need to see how much it would cost. Right now, a rough estimate is about $20-$50/year. That's nominal enough that just a few of us could easily cover it; requesting small donations of under $5 would help.

The creators of the now defunct vl pay $30 per year for enough space for several large forums, blogs and webpages. That is under market rates, but it is for a lot of space. For our small needs, I don't see having to pay much more, if even that much. But that is part of what searching for the host is intended to find out.

We could gain a lot of stability and freedom for just a little bit of money.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Fri May 23, 2008 7:01 pm

i'll pay for the first year-$50; one condition....

Logan, you got to take an enema...lately your full of something....lol!
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Logan (Earthmaiden) Sat May 24, 2008 12:18 am

reb wrote:i'll pay for the first year-$50; one condition....

Logan, you got to take an enema...lately your full of something....lol!
reb

Extra Happy Ya Baby! Only if you're giving it Reb. Extra Happy
Logan (Earthmaiden)

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Sat May 24, 2008 4:43 pm

I've added this question to the check list of what to find in a host:

-Is the host a reseller or do they own their own equipment?
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reb Sat May 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Logan,

ve use dee vater hoses in dis stalag....be kerfool vat you vish faaa.....lol!

(that's the best commandant i can do on net) lol!
reb
reb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivershine Sat May 24, 2008 7:29 pm

reb wrote:Logan,

ve use dee vater hoses in dis stalag....be kerfool vat you vish faaa.....lol!

(that's the best commandant i can do on net) lol!
reb
chuckle
Rivershine
Rivershine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2