The HSP Dimension: Expressions of Highly Sensitive People
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eerily accurate prediction of 1999

4 posters

Go down

Eerily accurate prediction of 1999 Empty Eerily accurate prediction of 1999

Post by Nucky Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:18 pm

Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Eerily accurate prediction of 1999 Empty Re: Eerily accurate prediction of 1999

Post by Nucky Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:34 pm

Flying cars, online transactions and communications, none of these notions seemed to be so far-fetched back then. But the notion that many women will one day handle the bills and business of the family?! Utterly inconceivable! Rolling Eyes
Nucky
Nucky
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 pm

They did get it mostly right; given the knowledge of the times. The only thing they didn't quite get right was a separate machine for each task. Still, most predictions aren't nearly that good.

But the notion that many women will one day handle the bills and business of the family?! Utterly inconceivable!

So true! freakout lol! They never did get sociological aspects back then. Thank goodness some things do change for the better.
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grasshopper Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:30 pm

But the notion that many women will one day handle the bills and business of the family?! Utterly inconceivable!
So true! freakout lol! They never did get sociological aspects back then. Thank goodness some things do change for the better.

My favorite TV show these days is 'Mad Men' [on AMC cable] about life in the early '60s among chain-smoking and drinking Madison Ave ad men, their women secretaries, and their families. Very accurate picture of the times with social customs, products, fashion, and commercials. All the married women were housewives who didn't work and were 'provided for' by their husbands. This was only fifty years ago!
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

https://sfba.social/@Grasshopper

Back to top Go down

Post by melodiccolor Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 pm

And we both remember those times. I vividly recall being told that I could not choose what I wanted to do when I grew up, but rather had to work as a teacher, nurse or secretary and only until I got married. I had better learn to type.

My response of course was to refuse to and indeed didn't learn to until it was required for my B.S. thesis. (The pun actually applies here, lol.) I was 8 at the time and determined to get into the space program.

I watched with delight as the times began to change; suddenly there were women sci fi authors, college professors, women working in many fields considered for men only. Soon thereafter, not only were married women working, but also, women were refusing "the shackles of marriage". Those were very interesting times.

Last edited by melodiccolor on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
melodiccolor
melodiccolor
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:50 pm

That was pretty funny! Those machines look so outdated though hehe!
And yeah, of course it's the man who handles all the bills and the woman who looks after the kids and the shopping hehe!!
Most of it though is done nowadays online (shopping, banking, correspondence) so that was close to the mark.
Luna
Luna

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum